Great Globe and Mail story on NASCAR NF

woodenboater

What a FANTASTIC read!

I think my interest in NASCAR started fading in accordance with the timeline in the article too.

Not only does the fact that all the cars look the same now bother me, but the network broadcasts no longer refer to the vehicles by former names like; 'The Tide Ride' or 'Dupont Chev' or 'Kellogs Car.' Now it's just the #23 or #44 or whatever.

The cars had as much personality as the drivers, but network executives didn't want the vehicles getting 'free' sponsor mentions. One more way the sport became more 'generic' every time they try and make it 'better.'

I wait to hear, We are closing up shop. The crowds are way down. Tickets that were a three year waiting list are long gone. You can show up at any race and buy your ticket the day of any where.

I will turn a race on still, but find myself turning the channel when it,s a borefest. Restricter races and short tracks all season long for me. I want to see close racing. Not 10 sec behind the leader and the rest are way back without a chance.

Also get rid of the chase.

Straight up racing. Also, let the teams do what they want to the cars. Why should they all race the same set ups?