Winter break NYC trip ideas

huzzsaba

Looking for ideas on attractions (non food related) in and around NYC. Preferably indoor attractions like museums. I have been looking at tripadvisor and there is tons there, but looking for first hand experience.

Going with my wife and our 2 girls ages 5 and 10, so looking for family friendly suggestions. Will be there 2-3 days.

Also looking for suggestions on shore fishing along the route from Niagara falls to New York. of course I will check into permits etc.

Thanks

I recommend taking a double decker Hop and Go tour bus around town.

Live tour guides talking. Learn lots.

Unlimited on off privileges.

Can get 3 day pass for 2 day price if negotiate.

Hopefully will run in winter.

Busy place. 24/7

Edited by captpierre

Never been to New York, but planning on it. Just the Canadian dollar too weak right now. Have you ever taken a NIGHT cruise along the Toronto Harbour. Awesome bud. Spectacular view. One of the best sites my eyes have ever seen. All the buildings lite up at night you cant beat. Imagine New York.

Never been to New York, but planning on it. Just the Canadian dollar too weak right now. Have you ever taken a NIGHT cruise along the Toronto Harbour. Awesome bud. Spectacular view. One of the best sites my eyes have ever seen. All the buildings lite up at night you cant beat. Imagine New York.

I have been thinking of the exchange rate and that will probably be the deciding factor on whether we actually go. the affordable hotels are pretty far from the city. I can use the recommendations for down the line if this trip doesn't happen this winter.

Thanks

If you are driving stay in Statton Island.

Free parking at hotel then drive to free commuter fairy to bottom of Manhatten. Small charge to park at fairy

Hotels on Manhatten are pricey. Virtually no parking.

If flying can stay in Brooklynn or Jersey and take subway in.

• 3 weeks later...

Letchworth state park, 1 hour south east from buffalo, rank best state park in usa.

Ithaca falls, lower buttermilk falls state park. Very nice hiking trail and scenery. Check to ensure they are open,

Erie canal museum in seracuse is a cool small free museum. Read it's history.

Fish at Waterpark dam south of point breeze, oak orchard ,an area before hitting rochester, you need a life jacket as the law states even fishing on shore beside the dam. Fish the deepest water area closes to the hydro plant outflow, few steelhead were landed there by others....., if you can get to that spot, which is 8ft deep,

chance are high you will get one by float fishing with beads, though the whole dam area can get very crowded, most other spot are just 3 to 4 ft deep.

Burt dam is another area, closer to buffalo, but water has been shallow , can wade and fish beside the fall.

If you exit kingston area, Pulaski ny is rank one of the best salmon trout fishing area in ny . But I have never fish it. The custom border there can get busy, due to construction.

Stay at Parsippany,NJ, area, lots of shops there, then drive to a bus terminal, and commute to Manhattan by bus, or stay at Howard Johnson near secaucus, bus stop is just behind the building, 3 miles from manhatan. Most family type branded motel cost $50 during slow season, with free breakfast.

Metropolitan museum of art in Manhattan is free. No.1 museum in usa. Museum of natural history got famous when Ben stiller had two movies made there. It is not free.

Go watch a live Broadway play during matinee hours. Buy tickets at tkts ny for better deal.tickets are 35 to 50 per person, but worth the show to educate and entertain your whole family on modern opera. A must do list for most visitor to manhattan. Phantom, less miserable or lion king, etc, all are very good. Cost way more to watch a play in Toronto if they are available.

If you drive the coast line on new jersey, you can view the statue of liberty and Manhattan.

Check ny shore fishing regulation, many eastern coastline are free to fish on sea shoreline only. But you still need to register on line. Use shrimp and coarse fish. Google info on shoreline fishing technique, check water tide level as well.

Edited by bassfighter

Indigo has some really good guide books for NYC and costco.ca has a citypass that will admit you to a lot of attractions at a big . Stay in jersey and take the bus or hotel shuttle to times Square.. we came close to going this year but we just didn't have any luck putting it together

I was there a couple of years ago and have been a bunch of times before. We saw matilda with the kids, stayed in an air b&b. Be prepared to be outside quite a bit even checking out time square etc. 911 mem. is outdoor too.The land marks are endless, gonna have to take a walk on 5th Ave and Soho (delancy)and little Italy (mulberry st.) etc. etc.... MOMA is a great museum. Hop on and off tours are great, but best when you can sit on top. Like I said Ive been 6+ times and haven't seen it all...

Got a favourite band? Cause they'll play NYC at some point. Keep your eyes on Wagjag and Groupon type deals for the hotels. I took the missus to see Eric Clapton's tour at Madison Square Gardens last year. Amazing show and a whirlwind tour built into it . Bought the city pass for less than a leafs ticket, got us into an amazing amount of venues. Up the Empire State building (twice), to Ellis Island and the Statue (my folks came through there in the 50s when they emigrated from the UK, very cool to see). Times square, NBC, Central Park, Museum of Modern Art...... We did the 911 memorial outside and inside. It is something I think everyone should see if they can - especially if you have a direct connection to NY or the US. Was good to see that one of my old room-mates who was from NYC, and whose Dad worked in finance, and who planned to follow him into the biz, did not have his name on the verrrry long list - 3 days of well worth it sight seeing. You will run out of time well before you run out of sights. But it ain't cheap, even with the deals...