Flipping bail manually

SirCranksalot

I was tarpon fishing with a guide in Florida 10 years ago and he told me to close the bail manually otherwise the sharp click when it closed automatically would transmit down the line and spook fish. Been doing it ever since.

Ok Im going out on a limb here Wade, bringing this back,,,,,,,,,,

Tarpon are on the top of my bucket list and I dont know if I will ever get to fish them in my life, BUT

Can you explain this more in depth please,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

In response to #26

Hi Brian,

We were bait-fishing shallow water - no more than 10 feet deep - so we had to make accurate casts and try not to spook them.

I went out three times with him and finally got a 100-pound tarpon on the last day - they are a blast to hook up with - great jumps, long fight. We lost plenty, too.

I went in April but I think it's better in May and June when they come into the Keys to spawn. It was definitely worth the money- he really works to get you on fish.

Here's his website http://yourfloridakeysfishingguide.com/

Edited by Wade

I have only used braid on my spinning reels for the last 15 years. The limpness of the braid can lead to problems with the line not sliding onto the pick-up roller and winding around the front of the spool. I close the bail manually and as I do this, I move the line onto the pick-up roller and draw any slack line off the spool. This eliminates most problems with loose coils on the reel. I have read that this also helps to limit line twist, however, I doubt that is true. Line twist is a built in problem with the design of spinning reels.