Flipping bail manually

SirCranksalot

To flip or not to flip---that is the question.

While trying to figure out an issue with my reel I ran across this thread from another website that suggests that it's best to flip the bail manually. I don't quite get it-----2 guys in the thread say they recommend it because it reduces line twist. I don't see why flipping manually would be any different from letting the bail spring do it. One guy suggests to do it also to reduce wear on the spring?!? Really? Why save the spring if you don't intend to use it? Nothing like buying a dog and barking yourself!!

Your thoughts? Maybe you see it differently.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/rods_reels/message.html?message_id=316623

Edited by SirCranksaLot

Line problems can result from constantly using the bail to stop a lure in midflight: the immediate deceleration causes the line to dig into the spool, causing the dreaded "loop jump" that is often confused with line twist. Closing the bail manually is a habit that keeps you from using the bail to stop a lure in mid flight.

I am at a loss as to how closing the bail manually will give you more control casting or reduce line twist :dunno: Casting lures I will close by turning the handle often fishing live bait I fish with the bail open and the line resting in the crook of my index finger for feel, then I close manually to set the hook.

I do it manually as well. I read something on the internet about it a while back and figured what the hell, it can't hurt anything. Now I just find it annoying to do it any other way.

I don't know if it helps with anything but I have been doing it for a few years now and don't see myself going back.

I am at a loss as to how closing the bail manually will give you more control casting or reduce line twist :dunno: Casting lures I will close by turning the handle often fishing live bait I fish with the bail open and the line resting in the crook of my index finger for feel, then I close manually to set the hook.

Feathering the line between your two fingers before closing the bail. I do it all the time when making long bomber casts with spoons up on Nipigon for specs. Although that really doesn't have anything to do with how you close the bail :) :)

I have a stradic that has a wonky bail, it sometimes closes it sometimes doesnt. Prior to using this reel i always used the handle to close the bail, but because of the way the stradic does work and sometimes doesnt, ive conditioned myself to always close the bail manually now...the only downfall i find with it is if you are casting bomb casts with spoons or other sub surface heavier lures and your intent is to rip them hard on the surface i.e. a spoon over surface weeds for pike.

I started flipping manually to eliminate "wind knots". Don't know what a wind knot is? It usually happens when fishing with braided line on a windy day. You cast, turn handle to close bail and the rotor turns winding line onto the spool. The very first wrap will sometimes end up with a small amount of slack that sticks out to the side of the spool. On your next cast, this slack will sometimes slip off the spool before the line laying on top of it. The end result is a tangle that may require scissors to fix. If you have 150 yards of line on your reel, you can empty it pretty quickly with a couple bad wind knots.

My manual bail flip is almost seamless. When my lure hits the water my right index finger grabs the line and pulls it tight. Left hand taps the bail arm closed and then quickly pulls the line tight as I release index finger and move my rod into retrieval position. Haven't had a wind knot in probably 7 or 8 years. I imagine the other manual flippers here are doing something very similar to what I described.

I have a stradic that has a wonky bail, it sometimes closes it sometimes doesnt. Prior to using this reel i always used the handle to close the bail, but because of the way the stradic does work and sometimes doesnt,

That's how I got into this subject---see this thread:

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80656

SD---thx for that explanation of 'loop jump'. I guess that what the guys meant when they said they flip manually to reduce 'line twist'.

Feathering the line between your two fingers before closing the bail. I do it all the time when making long bomber casts with spoons up on Nipigon for specs. Although that really doesn't have anything to do with how you close the bail :) :)

I feather too but use the tip of my index finger of the hand holding the rod lightly against the forward rim of the spool to slow the line coming off. Helps in heavy winds too to avoid excess belly in the line while casting. Only works when the bail is still open though :rofl2:

Back in the early days of spinning reels the most popular was the Mitchell 300 which were notorious for breaking the bail springs...Didn't seem to happen as often if you manually closed the bail...just seems natural to do it manually today...

I do both depending on the situation but I'd say I let the bail close automatically most of the time, especially in a cast then retrieve situation (opposed to letting line out for a drop shot, bottom bounce, float, etc). If the reel is of decent quality and in good working condition either shouldn't pose a problem.. its what they are designed to do.

I do both depending on the situation but I'd say I let the bail close automatically most of the time, especially in a cast then retrieve situation (opposed to letting line out for a drop shot, bottom bounce, float, etc). If the reel is of decent quality and in good working condition either shouldn't pose a problem.. its what they are designed to do.

I agree. But its also a "get what ya pay for" scenario.

Most cheap reels the bail will eventually fail.

On better equipment ive never had an issue.

And i know most here hate okuma spinning reels( seems like it anyhow) but i have 4 okuma avengers that i think i paid 45 bucks per reel and they are workhorses, havent had one fail yet and they have a great drag. These are the reels i abuse the crap outta shorefishing lol

Back in the early days of spinning reels the most popular was the Mitchell 300 which were notorious for breaking the bail springs...Didn't seem to happen as often if you manually closed the bail...just seems natural to do it manually today...

I used to hear guys complain about that all the time Norm, I never broke one on mine, and I had a half a dozen of them.