Flotation Foam

sneak_e_pete

Pending cavity shapes I'd probably buy the two part pourable closed cell foam. If you have some easy shapes you could probably use blue Dow SM or pink Celfort.

You just have to be cautious as to what is closed cell, what is open and what is somewhat in between. Pool noodles work great one day and then suddenly deteriorate and become an instant sponge. Even the Dow Corning billets for floating docks start to absorb water over time and once they become waterlogged they will not dry out. I've found a few blocks floating down the lake and they weigh 4x what they should. Left in the sun they still won't dry out.

Same deal with my hot tub cover, once side is totally water logged.

If you're going to go to all the work to pull out the old, no point putting crap back in.

Some people have mentioned using empty pop bottles. I am not sure how long it takes for them to break down; but it may solve the issue of foam absorbing water.

Placing the bottles in there and then adding foam to fill in the spaces between may be a good idea. You could even fill the bottles with foam before capping them.

Edited by JohnBacon

Personally , I don't like pour in expanding foam in an aluminum boat. Nasty if you ever have to remove it for a repair, bonds to the hull so that if any water gets in the boat under the floor it won't drain to the back properly, seems to be a source of corrosion if wet and bonded to the hull, make mine cut to measure foam boards.

The point of having foam is to provide an added element of safety in case that boat ever gets swamped. There's no way I'd be stuffing pool noodles or pop bottles into my boat. How about pool noodle lifejackets?Nope. Get a quality closed cell foam and install it as original factory. The placement and volume of foam is important to create level floation during times of being completely swamped. Too much in the bow for instance can push the heavy transom(motor,batteries,etc) down. Take your time and do it right.

Have your local insulation contractor spray the areas with Walltite-Eco 2 part polyurethane foam.

The original foam that is put in boats is open cell and is the reason it fails. The Walltite is a closed cell foam that won't absorb water.

Id love to know more about this..I have a good friend that owns Insta Insulation just outside of Brantford here.. Has any one else done this? Will it eat at the aluminum?

Id love to know more about this..I have a good friend that owns Insta Insulation just outside of Brantford here.. Has any one else done this? Will it eat at the aluminum?

Seeing how they spray it on all types of metal areas when insulating I would believe it to be fine.

It's not really any different than the original foam except it is denser and closed cell.

The two agents may be a little different but there is no reason to think it would harm the hull any more than the factory stuff will.

In fact I would believe that the factory foam would be worse as it holds water that would over time cause corrosion at the points where it is saturated.