Strange Thing

JoePa

I live in the country and there are a lot of raccoons around - so yesterday after eating lunch I go out into the yard and about 20 feet from the back porch there is a coon laying on it's back with all 4 legs stretched out - I go over to it and can see that the thing is breathing - looks like it had just passed out or was drunk - I was wondering if it had eaten some fermented fruit and got drunk - never saw a coon laying on it back like that - it was real healthy looking and fat - didn't want to take any chances with the thing so I shot it - anyone ever experience something like this -

becareful and yes fermented berries will get birds like robins drunk as well as racoons or maybe some fermented corn as well,but there is distemper going around as well and that can make animals lethargic and not afraid,as well as come out during the middle of the day...but sounds like he was drunk for sure its not all that uncommon this time of year....should have taken a few pics.....

There used to be a moose in Anchorage that would get looped on fermented crab apples every fall.

There was pictures of him wandering around down town all pissed up with Christmas lights all wrapped up in his antlers.

It was pretty comical.

The media named him Buzzwinkle!! :clapping: :rofl2: :good:

Unfortunately a few years ago he ended up with a bad rear leg possibly from being hit by a vehicle and had to be put down. :(

buzzwinkle_themoose.jpeg

I saw three racoons exactly like that late November last year on the trail where I walk the dog. Was worried at first they were rabid and it was a chore keeping my dog away from them. They were lying on the ground within 10' of each other breathing but barely able to move.