Haliburton smallies

singingdog

Got out yesterday for the start of November smallie season. What a day! Shirt sleeve warm and virtually no wind. Water temps mid 50s, so I went looking in the usualy haunts in 15-20 FOW. Couldn't get bit on the bottom, couldn't find them in the column, so I decided to try shallow. The next few hours were a blast: 15 good quality fish, all in 4-8 FOW, crystal clear. All fish were caught on a ned rig, with everything else going untouched. Gotta love it when a half senko on a jig head outfishes hundreds of dollars worth of Japanese tackle ;)

PB030737.jpg

PB030736.jpg

PB030734.jpg

interesting pattern you picked up on there.

Ive read a few articles talking about male smallies making a one week trip back to the spawning beds in the fall...perhaps this is the result! its all a matter of timing i guess! nice job

I've seen it in cold water before. I had a couple of days last November, catching them shallow on sunny, fairly calm days. On those days, they seem to concentrate on the flats where there is quick access to deeper water.

There was a few big schools of smallies cruising the shallows the other day sunning themselves on sunny calm days they will find sand if it's shallow and sun ..... Turnover is on on some lakes in Hali as water temps are in some lakes 45-48 they will be heading to their overwintering spots very soon

My house manager let me have a cottage retreat this weekend. Was so pumped, got the boat ready, it's pouring rain. Gotta wait it out an hour, hope the bite is on! Going to try for the grandslam bass, walleye, musky and pike. Ill settle for some fat fall bronze but a guy can hope, right?

Well, the grandslam certainly didn't happen. Weather was crazy today. Think the lake is beginning to turn. Temp was between 48-49 and aside from one smallie from 25fow on the first spot, it was very slow today. I tried all the late season spots and marked a few, but didn't even get a sniff until the last spot, a great late season shoal that drops from 8-30fow. Spent a good hour there and probably got between 12-15 smallies. First one almost yanked the rod from my hands! All fish were suspended off the shoal and parallel casts with moderate pauses were key. Can't wait to do it again tomorrow!