Now With Pics Added And Stuff! Lake Simcoe Perchi And Quinte Repor From Nov 26-7

cisco

A pal is coming over tomorrow to post pics. But here's the quick report.

Grouper Trooper and Chuckles in their boat and me in mine went to Simcoe at Giford 'searchin fer some perchin'on Sunday. (will insert pic later)

113453.jpg

Clearwater and few fish at the Gifford side got us driving around to find good numbers. We didn't notice that the marina we were leaving was loooaded :dunno: ... more on this later. Great place to launch though. $15 honour system. Toss it into a box and launch.

We went out into the main lake and got few and far between. The few there were very spooky :unsure: too due to the really clear water. But we wandered around and while doing so one of my pals lands... on 4 lb line and ona perch bait no less:santa: ... a smallmouth bass that's almost 6 that's SIX POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worthy::thumbsup_anim: (insert pic here later).

113454.jpg

May be a new line-test record or something! Congrats to Chuckles!!!

After a bit of driving around, man did we find em! Where? Right across from Gilford is Crates Marine on the east side where all the boats have white shrinkwrap on em. The the water at the mouth of the canal there was dirty. Perch bonanza in there!!! (insert pic here later).

113455.jpg

Best was 12 inches. Hoards of perch though. Coulda netted em as they followed baits to the boats! :ph34r:

Took a few back over the 10 inch mark.

113456.jpg

Upon return to the launch in Gilford we noticed HOARDS of perch of all sizes in the marina docks chasing TONS of baitfish there.

Turns out we shoulda just fished the boat launch area! LOL! :dunno:

Met some great guys fishing the docks with pails.

My buds had to return to the big smoke, but I had a coupla days off.... so ON TO QUINTE!!!!! :thumbsup_anim: !!!!!!

Later found out the bud who was going to join me at Quinte me wasn't drunk... so he sez anyways.... but went cutting and splitting firewood cuz I hadn'ty called. SURE I SEZZZ! ;) Maybe it was better he didn't call. Better me goin fishin than helping him do the wood thing! LOL!

Irishfield gave great directions to get there. I blew a trailer tire around 6pm so I 'had fun on da 401'

Got the old spare on and crossed the Glenora Ferry, but after thinking about options went back in the morning and got a new tire at Canadian Tire...... otherwise no spare on the drive home.

Got back and fishing around 12:30 pm. .... going drinkin now. The rest later after I get to load pics to help tell the rest.

I took some good advice here and set a leadcore rod up with 5 colours out and a Bob Izumi CC in shad with a red belly. The other rod was set up on a planer board with ? line out behind and a deep diver on. I couldn't measure the line out to the magic 150 to 200 since the BPS line counters don't like to have flea-flicker (oval shaped line) go through. Anyway, I just set up where a great buncha US guys were trolling on the south side. Here's my leadcore rod draggin the lure.

113460.jpg

I decide to eat a sandwich, and as usual, right in the middle of lunch I notice this......

113461.jpg

OHOOOOO! First Quinte walleye! Made my day. Oh, and I didn't gill em I grabbed em around the snout with one hand and around the base of the tail with the other hand. Read here they have sensitive gills. Saw a few pics with blood so I tried this way and it worked well. It was a decent size. 30 or so inches and fought OK with a few head shakes and small runs. But with salmon tackle it was all over pretty quick.

113463.jpg

Got one more a short time later, about the same size on the eact same rig, then lost one that felt about the same size, then shortly before dark I again used a tip here and trolled the planer board close to shore. Boat was in 40ft but the planer was 30yds from shore. Had a great hit and the result was a nice fat pike about 3ft long.

113464.jpg

The Picton area was very interesting in that it has alot to do with British patriot stuff. Seems after the US revolution in the late 1700s the the British government gave lotsa land to its patriots who left the US after the war. Here's a couple plaques located at the ferry berth across from Picton.

113458.jpg

113459.jpg

Met some great US anglers who were/are up for the week and they were very helpful on how to get the walleyes. Biggest they had so far was close to 14lbs. Some runs they'd get 5 big eyes!

Next time I'm going to have the stuff they use! They offered to loan me some stuff, but since I was heading home soon I figured it would be hard to return stuff since they fish till after dark. Man they were outfitted! Huge Ranger boats. One guy from Arkansas and others mainly from Wisconsin.

For big eyes and nice pike Quinte is theeeee place :worthy: . Glad I finally got down there.

Edited by cisco