Rain Gear

DaveRoach

I've decided to spring for high end rain gear and would like to hear from those who bit the bullet and bought either

BPS 100MPH or Cabelas Guidewear. The cost is around $700.00 plus tax for bibs and Jacket and would like to hear opinions prior to this one time purchase.

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Dave

I have never used the Cabelas Guidewear, but I do have the BPS 100 MPH and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have fished in some pretty torrential downpours and it keeps me dry. I also don't find it to be too warm in the summer if you have to put it on when its raining, but its also warm when you need it to be in the spring and fall. I fished last year on the upper Niagara river in November when it was around 2 degrees and about 40km/h winds, and also running the boat right into the wind at 50mph and I didn't feel cold at all.

Would highly recommend the BPS, but can't compare the 2 because I have never had both.

Wait for a bit. Cabelas often blows th out late fall or winter. I got mine for 225 U.S.for the bibs and coat. They have been good for me.

Great buy Landry did you buy from the US site? How were taxes etc? I have waited all year and have not seen a sale in Canada?

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by DaveRoach

I have the pro qualifier. Id recommend it. Going on its third season, i like it because it has no liner but i can zip one in. Ive been in downpours and have always stayed dry. Id wait for it to go on sale, its usually on in their spring classic

Walk into BPS or Sail and see what they have on the shelf. You might be surprised that you don't have to advertise their "brand" all over Ontario and walk out with a full Gortex suit for $500. Leah and I did just that a few years back, $250 / pc x two coats and two pants for a total of a grand. Haven't been wet in the boat since.

I'd never expect a proper fit ordering on line. Throw on a sweater and hit a store.

Edited by irishfield

I've got the cabelas dry plus suit and it's been holding up for a few years. Keeps me nice and dry. As mentioned check Cabela's sales... mine was half off when I bought it.

Edit to add: just checked the US site... it's half off now. Also on sale is the better guidewear. There is the exchange to consider but if you need it this fall, this stuff would be a good option if you can pick it up over the border.

Edited by JoshS

I have the bps 100 mph. I have the new suit and had the old suit for 6 years. They work great, I also have the liner for the jacket and it's very warm. Been out a lot this fall and it's been fantastic. I find it too warm for the summer months so I have the frog toggs which are great as well just very light. Have a look at the frabill and stormer they are reasonably priced. The Simms is nice but well over a geno. Can't go wrong with the cabelas, I have never used but look similar to the bass pro ones.

Walk into BPS or Sail and see what they have on the shelf. You might be surprised that you don't have to advertise their "brand" all over Ontario and walk out with a full Gortex suit for $500. Leah and I did just that a few years back, $250 / pc x two coats and two pants for a total of a grand. Haven't been wet in the boat since.

I'd never expect a proper fit ordering on line. Throw on a sweater and hit a store.

Although it aint rain gear, I did get a great deal on my Ice Armour suit at Sail a few years back. 145 bucks bib and jacket. Dirt cheap. Like Wayne said, they dont advertise that stuff. It was on a clearance rack.

I just bought the pro qualifier jacket and bibs

Have only worn twice but very happy w it

One thought: had my 6 year old with me and was sbout to walk out with it. She said Daddy if you fll in the water no one will see grey but they will see this one (bright orange) she was right so thats what i bought lol

I own both Cableas Guide Wear and the 100mph BPS.

Guide Wear hood parachutes and strangles you in a Bassboat. It has a single chunky zipper not rain proof and a single flap with very short strips of Velcro. Definitely not extreme weather.

BPS 100 hood still parachutes a little but they have large Velcro flap that goes over your mouth from the hood making it minimal.

Inside water proof zipper a flap and outside water proof zipper. All pockets are water proof zippers and arm cuffs neoprene.

BPS 100 is by far the best.

I bought a shimano GORE-Tex rain suit insulated off a member on this board about 6yrs ago for $100 and it was brand new and it's been the best suit I ever had and have worn it for years and it keeps the rain & wind out pretty good and have not seen one since in the stores but would recommend them for the price that's for sure don't know if they are still made it not ???