Your best fishing 'junk'

Acountdeleted

We all have it, those lures that were 3 for $5, that fishing gift that was given to us by someone who has never wet a line or that garage sale deal we couldn't pass up.

Most of the time, we use them once and they get relegated to the bottom of the tacklebox. But every now and then we get something really really good that is a staple that we never expected.

A few stories: 3 or 4 years ago I was at the outdoor fishing show. There was at 'senko' knockoff booth and their show special was 'buy a ziplock bag for $5. Whatever you can fit into it and close the ziplock, you can have'. So I stuffed about 50 of these plastic worms into em. My buddies and co-workers gave me such a hard time about em. The colours ranged from 'blade of grass that hasn't been watered in months' to 'seasick earth worm'. Later that year I was fishing at my parents cottage and needed something to float through a slow moving current so I hooked one up wacky style. The fish absolutely destroyed it. I find when I fish the shallows with them on the warm days I can barely have the cast hit the water before the bass destroy them. So, last month I used my last one. The worst thing is, I can't find them in their ugly disgusting colours anywhere. Go figure.

The other big one is, my cousin says the live target lures are a waste of money. He got a crawfish one for Christmas and used it a bit without much success. Same area, same retrieval, if he switches over the 'Bomber' $5 knockoffs he always manages to catch something. Go figure!

How about you guys, what chicken salad have you managed to make out of chicken poop?

A few years ago on this board dollarama lures were all the rage. I believe we even had a contest to see who could catch the biggest fishing strictly using dollarama gear. It was all in good fun and made for lots of laughs. However to this day I still use a X-rap knockoff from there and it slays pike! Bought a bunch of them a while ago as they aren't very durable but it's amazing how good they are for urban pike lol

Best bass crank ive ever used I recoloured at home with some neon paint from dollerama and nail polish.

First time I used it I was fishing from a dock and my wifes family were all there havin beers and a bonfire.

I bet I caught 40 bass in about 3 hours on that one crank.

I tried it on other water badies too and same thing

It was just a cheap body plastic too, shaped like a cotton cordell

I should make some more lol

May182011120.jpg

cheapest lures I run are challenger lures.

They are knock offs of north american lures...but work VERY WELL!

Change up the hooks and split rings if your going to target silver species of fish, but man do they work.

Riplin Redfins are also quite cheap, and they work better than 90% of lures out there.....

Back around 1980 I got a whole bunch of Andy Reeker spoons for next to nothing, I never knew why cause they had good siwash hooks on them with welded not split rings, fickle anglers I guess, probably got a ton of Lake Ontario salmon and trout on them.

Canadian Tire used to sell these cheap hammered copper and orange spoons called something like "Krinkles". They only sold the one colour and the one size.

Myself and a few guys loved that spoon. Can't find them anymore. Lucky Strike has something similar but it's not the same.

I have a retired one left I won't use, it's hanging up. I brought it to BPS a few years ago and asked an employee if he had ever seen these. He said no, but funny, there was another guy in just an hour ago asking the same thing.

The hammered copper and orange spoons are called Wrinkles by a company called Lure King. They come in 3 sizes and also in the classic red and white pattern. They are not exactly cheap either, something like $3.99 or $4.99 depending on the size. Bought a bunch of them from a CT up in Barrie a few years ago. You can still find them in some older CT stores. Great spoon for salmon and bows up on G-bay.

I was on a pike trip many years ago and at the last gas station before the trail i saw a little rack with some cheap no name 2$ spoons maybe 3-4" long, i normally would have ignored it but there was a couple pink 5 of diamonds that caught my eye so i bought them both.

Day one on the water i spotted a big fish in a shallow weedless bay that wanted nothing to do with anything i threw at her, i continued to go back over the next 3 days trying everything everywhere to hook this fish with no success. I even spent a couple hours with a 10" sucker under a slip float swimming around with free reign to no avail.

Day 4 i was back for another shot and having exhausted all other options i snapped on ol pinkie and 3 casts later it was game on, a short battle later and my pb at the time was in the boat.

This fattie was just under 40" and weighed 17 lbs.

I wont ever discount a cheap lure again but i will swap out hooks and split rings because those are the first things to fail, cheap doesnt always mean bad... As for the ripplin redfin you guys wouldnt like it?

I lost one of those pink spoons but the one i caught that fish on still resides in my pike box and has been known to make an appearance from time to time on those days that nothing else seems to work.

The hammered copper and orange spoons are called Wrinkles by a company called Lure King. They come in 3 sizes and also in the classic red and white pattern. They are not exactly cheap either, something like $3.99 or $4.99 depending on the size. Bought a bunch of them from a CT up in Barrie a few years ago. You can still find them in some older CT stores. Great spoon for salmon and bows up on G-bay.

I did an online search for Lure King and Wrinkles and can't find anything. I have a feeling the company is toast.

I tend to avoid "cheap" tackle...

We do have a "wall of shame" at the cottage covered in lures that just didn't pan out for us... Gotta be 50 lures on there.... Every so often we pull a few down and try em again...

My boys Mickey Mouse rod did troll up an 8lb walleye 2 years ago... That was impressive... Lol

a freind of mine has a little tackle company on the net and facebook called widowmaker lures and he sells a lot of his own lures, i ve benefitted from lots of freebies over the years and can say that his ice fishing spoons are the best i ve ever used for winter perchin, and his frogs work as well as the live targerts

Riverside ringworms, I was in a big lots store here and they had packs of them for 50 cents, I bought all the Junebug, Black, and purple ones they had, but they were a favorite of mine anyway, 50 cents beat 1.99 a bag at a tackle shop?

We took our annual run up to BPS in Auburn Hills Michigan years ago, they had a close out on D3 Rapala Risto Raps, I think they were the smallest size of those they made, 1.99 each. I bought a dozen, they turned out to be very good lures for smallies. Small catches all? They would take them went they weren't touching bigger lures.

Silver Buddy blade baits? a guy at the local flea market was selling them for 50 cents a piece, I bought a dozen, they worked as well as Heddon Sonars for me, at a much better price.

I certainly made my share of mistakes buying lures that only looked good! but it was an advantage fishing in a bass club and in tournaments for years, you could see what others were using and actually catching fish on.

In a dumb move to create a glow lure that didnt need to be flashed every 5 casts, I taped a glow stick (the kind that you crack the case and stays lit for most of the day) to my husky jerk crankbait and cast it out. Not realizing that it would float because of the liquid filled glow tube, it defeated the purpose of diving deep. It ended up becoming a glow top water lure that I was able to cast out a good 75 feet because of the new found weight of the glow tube! I got a carp to follow it lol. should be great for nightime pike and bass in the future in the weedy areas.

Edited by huzzsaba

It was the mid 70's and my teenage buddies and I decided to attend the London Sportsman Show. After wandering around for a while, we found out that Red Fisher was there signing autographs. We found him in a motor home in the far corner of the building. there was no line up. We made our way into the motor home, to the smell of cheap rye and b.o.. There he was, in all his glory, sitting at the table with a stack of his book of poems. He happily signed a copy for each of us.

He then suggested that we hit one of the exhibitors who had a deal on a lure called a "Spinidity". He claimed it was a great lure for just about everything and that we should grab some before they were gone. Well, no fishin teenager in his right mind would not follow the advice of the great Red Fisher... I grabbed a few. They are basically a Tiny Torpedo, but a bigger version. Frog pattern.

I have caught tons of fish with that lure! I still have one and it does get a fair amount of water time, given the correct circumstances.

I think I paid a couple of bucks each for them.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Len Thompson hammered gold and orange spoon. I wouldn't exactly call them junk, but they are one of the cheaper spoons you can buy, especially compared to one of my favourites - the EGB. I once found one on the river bottom and tossed it in my box. Didn't try it out until my next outing, and in desperation tied it on after a fishless morning. Got a salmon shortly after that. Thought it may have been a fluke but it has continued to catch salmon and rainbows for me...it is now my go-to spoon when casting for salmon and rainbows. Eventually lost it to the same river bottom where I found it and promptly replaced it with a new one from CT.

A few stories: 3 or 4 years ago I was at the outdoor fishing show. There was at 'senko' knockoff booth and their show special was 'buy a ziplock bag for $5. Whatever you can fit into it and close the ziplock, you can have'. So I stuffed about 50 of these plastic worms into em. My buddies and co-workers gave me such a hard time about em. The colours ranged from 'blade of grass that hasn't been watered in months' to 'seasick earth worm'. Later that year I was fishing at my parents cottage and needed something to float through a slow moving current so I hooked one up wacky style. The fish absolutely destroyed it. I find when I fish the shallows with them on the warm days I can barely have the cast hit the water before the bass destroy them. So, last month I used my last one. The worst thing is, I can't find them in their ugly disgusting colours anywhere. Go figure.

i also filled a ziplock bag of those "senkos" at the fishing show...i havent even opened the bag yet

i'll be sure to try them now

i think they're bass magnet http://www.bassmagnetlures.com

Edited by Boss

I wonder if Roy caught anything with the lures we gave him in a rusty old metal kid's tackle box for his birthday twelve years ago...

Each of us put the worst lure from our tackle into the box...good times...

roy's visit saturday 19 july c.jpg

roy's visit friday 18 july d.jpg