Who is this middle class I hear them spout about?

Old Ironmaker

Constantly I hear these Politicians spouting off about serving the middle class. Who is the middle class? Not I for certain. If the top 5% own 90% of the wealth I would say these are the upper class. The Bronfmans, the Molson family, the Eatons, the Bassets, the people that write cheques to millionairs for services rendered. So who's next? The CEO's of these individuals that get the cheques in the millions a year, those business people that own the companies that we write cheques to every month for our mortgage, car, internet, phone services? Even these guys need to show up to an office once a week and they get a cheque every month. They aren't upper class so who are they? Middle class?

My Lawyer and Doctor, my CPA and Dentist sure have to show up everyday or they can't pay their bills so who are they? Middle Class. Then for certain I am not Middle Class. Because even these guys have to work.

I must be working class. because I sure ain't one of those aforementioned classes. I hear nothing about working class citizens in this election, nothing.

Which class are you. If your middleclass may I carry your bags Sir?

If you compare even the poorest of the poor here to about 95% of people in the world. Those 95% would change places in a heartbeat.... So it is all relative I guess.

The middle class started dying the minute people thought their home was a financial investment as well as a place to live. To keep up with the rise in the price of housing we quickly out priced ourselves right out of the kind of jobs that started a class that wasn't exactly poor, but wasn't rich enough to take very much from those who were.

It didn't help though that along the way the people who were in charge thought that making 8 or 9 times more a year than the average employee wasn't good enough so they started to take 300 times more.

Growing up my dad worked the railway ...mom stayed home until we were old enough...we always had new cars,trucks.sleds ,boats etc..new clothes whatever basically,compared to some at the time I thought we we're middle class back then ...nowadays there's 3 classes the rich,the poor and poverty

If you have to go into work everyday I consider you to be working class. There are the wealthy and those guys write cheques to the Middle Class that includes all professionals that need to work regularly so they can live like they are wealthy. They write the cheques to those of us that must work everyday and watch for sales on groceries which I consider "Working Class" which are the heart and soul of Canada. Then there are the Underprivileged Class that need assistance to live regardless of the reasons. Now throw Royalty into the mix and it just gets ridiculous. Compared to them I'm underprivileged.

more like the tax class, i make about 102k a year wife part time like 18k a year and with a 1100 month mortgage 600 in vehicle payments plus all tyhe usual utlitys food ect there still not much left at end of month and i dont go out for dinner and brown nag lunch to work everyday just cant imagine how someone living in the city can afford anything making that canadian average of 38k a year

ec, my wife and I are very similar, just the mortgage amount is 1,800 a month....and that is in hamilton.

can't imagine an oakville/mississauga/gta mortgage.

i'm guessing you need household incomes of well over $200k annually....which is high income class...not middle class.

Somehow we have been fooled into thinking that a lot of middle class manufacturing jobs pay too much. Therefore it's ok that the jobs move south or to China in the eyes of many. These are the people who built this country!! I recently looked at a pay stub from 7 years ago and I was 10 thousand dollars ahead back then!..

At the age of 25, I was making $24 an hour plus piece work. If the machines went down, I was paid an average hourly. That at times would of been $30-$36 an hour. I am no wheres near that now, and I am more educated then I was back then. Go figure.

Somehow we have been fooled into thinking that a lot of middle class manufacturing jobs pay too much. Therefore it's ok that the jobs move south or to China in the eyes of many. These are the people who built this country!! I recently looked at a pay stub from 7 years ago and I was 10 thousand dollars ahead back then!..

If I look back 7 years my paycheck was 60-70 grand more...sometimes life poops on good people...now I might make 40 grand and living paycheck to paycheck....certainly not how I envisioned my golden years!!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

At the age of 25, I was making $24 an hour plus piece work. If the machines went down, I was paid an average hourly. That at times would of been $30-$36 an hour. I am no wheres near that now, and I am more educated then I was back then. Go figure.

...same here Brian making 8 an hr less than I was in 09..and working harder longer hrs now

I've noticed this happening more and more, in my line of work I meet a large amount of people in all different walks of life in various manufacturing settings, there's a place in east end of Hamilton called tasus, they fabricate stickers for all sorts of different things, decals for cars, boats, anything really.

My friend and his dad worked there before it was purchased by a Japanese company, and his dad was responsible for doing all the 3d rendering and design in the program they use, when they were bought out it was "take a 33% pay cut or we're going to have to let you go" and I've heard the same story too many times since then at other places too, and even looking at the staff now they were bragging to me the other day "we went down from 89 employees to 73" I held my tongue because some of those people had been there a long while and deserve better than what they got

Trudeau's Tax Break:

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/trudeaus-odd-middle-class-tax-break

This STINKS:

Check out the 4th Paragraph!

Regards,

Snowball

Yep, it does

That article brings up a good point -- good luck getting doctors to move to New Brunswick when the combined tax rate is >58%. Holy cow. Combine that with what's happening in Ontario with doctors getting squeeze by the provincial gov and you're not making those guys feel very welcome.

Edited by cram

I fear for my family and friends that used to work for Stelco, now US steel Canada....

Us steel feels they should not be legally obliged to pay pensioners their pensions or benefits. They bought the company, the also bought the right to service the people who gave so much.....

It boggles the mind

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/judge-approves-u-s-steel-transition-plan-suspends-retiree-benefits-1.3264966

This is just the beginning

Edited by Gerritt

I fear for my family and friends that used to work for Stelco, now US steel Canada....

Us steel feels they should not be legally obliged to pay pensioners their pensions or benefits. They bought the company, the also bought the right to service the people who gave so much.....

It boggles the mind

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/judge-approves-u-s-steel-transition-plan-suspends-retiree-benefits-1.3264966

This is just the beginning

Agreed, s**t like that is criminal

Edited by Lucas F