What ever happened to the "Do not Call List"?

Big Cliff

I just got an automated call from CTC telling me how much money I could save if I bought winter tires there (to keep it short).

Ticked me right off, I was having a nap and didn't appreciate the phone call. I called the number back, gave them my phone number and told them that if I ever got another call like that from them I would cut up my card and never shop there again.

She said "one moment" came back on and quoted my name. Then she wanted my birth date? I asked why? She told me that if I wanted her to help me, she needed some information so I gave it to her and she quoted my address.

Then she wanted the three numbers off the back of my card, I do not give those to anyone over the phone unless I have initiated the original call; I refused and reiterated that one more call from them and the card would be cut to pieces and I wouldn't shop their again, their choice, and I hung up!

Where do these people get off, I thought this sort of thing was against the law!

That call was not from CTC, Cliff. You were talking to a thief, calling you from somewhere on the other side of the globe.

They might also tell you that you've won a prize of some sort, and they just need your credit card info to confirm your ID.

Don't ever give them any information. Nothing. Just hang up.

It's not even worth telling them off.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Well it seems your Do Not Call list works about as well as ours! Craig is probably right, a scammer, not a business.

The Internal Revenue Service called me today about my alleged back tax debt, a scam that has been on the news here for a while, I think they target older people.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/30226287/alert-beware-of-irs-imposters

The do not call list doesn't apply to anybody you do business with.

Bingo, you win, and there's a few other exceptions, like political canvassing, etc. I've made a couple complaints to the DNC list about Air Canada, appears that nothing is done because they keep calling.

OMG Cliff, I added my name and my mom's name to the do not call list years ago and it was for not, I get about 4 or 5 calls a day. The new one is from TD Financial Services. They call every morning at precisely 8:59 a.m. The first thing they ask for is my date of birth. I usually tell them to go somewhere, but they keep calling back. Same with the duct cleaning services!!!

It is really getting out of hand I agree!

The government can't do anything about it, since virtually all of these calls come from people in India, Indonesia, Pakistan and other countries that don't aggressively enforce laws concerning fraud.

Get a phone with call display if you don't already have it. If you don't recognize the number, don't even answer it. If it's a real call, they will leave a message and you can phone them back.

Do what we did.... Ditch the home phone, go cell only.....

Pay the 2 bucks to have your number unlisted. Sleep soundly, Profit!

I have yet to get an unsolicited phone call in 3 years with Rogers....

That said if you do business with a company and give them your number, they can call you. As can charitable organizations you have donated too and provided a number etc.

G

I just got an automated call from CTC telling me how much money I could save if I bought winter tires there (to keep it short).

Ticked me right off, I was having a nap and didn't appreciate the phone call. I called the number back, gave them my phone number and told them that if I ever got another call like that from them I would cut up my card and never shop there again.

She said "one moment" came back on and quoted my name. Then she wanted my birth date? I asked why? She told me that if I wanted her to help me, she needed some information so I gave it to her and she quoted my address.

Then she wanted the three numbers off the back of my card, I do not give those to anyone over the phone unless I have initiated the original call; I refused and reiterated that one more call from them and the card would be cut to pieces and I wouldn't shop their again, their choice, and I hung up!

Where do these people get off, I thought this sort of thing was against the law!

This was for sure a scam artist. No actual complany will ever ever ever ask for your credit card info for identification purposes. I'm very glad you didn't give them your 3 numbers. That's bad news.

Well, as it turns out it isn't a scam. I ended up calling the number on the back of my card and talked to a very nice lady, I explained exactly what had happened and even about them asking for my code number on the back of the card. She told me that since I had called back in they would ask for that number to verify that I actually did have the card in my posession.

She very politly told me that she was sorry for any inconvenience and would immediatly put my name on the "do not call" list.

Another advantage of only having a cell phone is that you can block calls from specific numbers.

I do that but i must have aomething on my phone set up wrong because i still get messages????even when they are just hang ups

Ill go check my messages and have 10 dud messages from blocked calls

Cell phones cost a lot. I do have one, but it's on a pay-as-you-go plan. I just don't use it enough for a monthly plan. If anyone is in the same boat as me, another good option is get VoIP through a company that lets you do things like block numbers at will, unlist your number, and so on.

I pay $12.50/month for a VoIP line (ATA rental included) with unlimited local calling, voicemail, voicemail to email, call display, etc, and of course an unlisted number, and the ability to block numbers. and it works great for me. The best feature is that Bell gets not a cent from me, for almost 10 years now. :D

This query comes up once and a while here if I'm not mistaken. From what I remember our Canadian Do Not Call system is not regulated through any Gov. legislation. It is a public service by a business group and has no legal authorization to penalize any group or business that does not adhere to the request to "Do not call'. Is this still the scenario?

I love telemarketers. I do realize these people are trying to make a living, earn a wage no matter how meager and hopefully pay taxes into our coffers. It sure isn't a job I would want but if I couldn't do anything else it would be an option. It beats many jobs I have seen people do. When I am really bored I just take a few minutes to drive them nuts. Then they put me on their do not call list. Lately I will answer the phone and when there is a second or 2 delay I know it's an automated call system where calls are put out and until they get a connection then they push a button to complete the call. I will answer in one of my many accents I have developed over the years. My favorite is the old Italian guy, I have had a lot of experience with old Italian guys since I was born. " Who you wanta Mr.?" OK holdem up a minuto...........Johnny coma now,,,,,,,,,,hey Guanno the guy she calla for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait 2 minutes and tell them Johnny no home, bye, bye or you want to calla him backs give me the numero,,,,,1 800 909 8888, OK I tole you 1 900 888 9090, no sir, etc. etc until they hang up on me. It can be fun. Or the old Scotsman who flips out on the credit card caller because he has never had a credit card and goes into tirade about how credit is bad and cash is King then lectures the young caller about financing and banking, they will politly end the conversation and hardly ever call me back. Now I'm coming into winter and might not have much fun around dinner time.

This query comes up once and a while here if I'm not mistaken. From what I remember our Canadian Do Not Call system is not regulated through any Gov. legislation. It is a public service by a business group and has no legal authorization to penalize any group or business that does not adhere to the request to "Do not call'. Is this still the scenario?

I love telemarketers. I do realize these people are trying to make a living, earn a wage no matter how meager and hopefully pay taxes into our coffers. It sure isn't a job I would want but if I couldn't do anything else it would be an option. It beats many jobs I have seen people do. When I am really bored I just take a few minutes to drive them nuts. Then they put me on their do not call list. Lately I will answer the phone and when there is a second or 2 delay I know it's an automated call system where calls are put out and until they get a connection then they push a button to complete the call. I will answer in one of my many accents I have developed over the years. My favorite is the old Italian guy, I have had a lot of experience with old Italian guys since I was born. " Who you wanta Mr.?" OK holdem up a minuto...........Johnny coma now,,,,,,,,,,hey Guanno the guy she calla for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait 2 minutes and tell them Johnny no home, bye, bye or you want to calla him backs give me the numero,,,,,1 800 909 8888, OK I tole you 1 900 888 9090, no sir, etc. etc until they hang up on me. It can be fun. Or the old Scotsman who flips out on the credit card caller because he has never had a credit card and goes into tirade about how credit is bad and cash is King then lectures the young caller about financing and banking, they will politly end the conversation and hardly ever call me back. Now I'm coming into winter and might not have much fun around dinner time.

Priceless!!!

CTC sells the phone numbers they get, although they deny it.

I have 3 numbers , 1 cell and two landlines.

One landline is never given out to anybody. After a few years I was asked for my land line number by the CTC service desk and without thinking I gave the number that no one has. A few weeks later the telemarketers started calling. I called CTC and they denied any wrong doing. Changed the number again. All is good once again.

Edited by muddler