Tactical Flashlight - Recommendations Please (NF - sort of)

T-Bone

Looking to get a nicer tactical flashlight than the Ultrafire cheapie I have now and researching on the web is a vortex of contradicting info. I figure with all the hunters and night fishing done by the members here there would be some good recommendations to be had.

I'm not looking to spend more than $50 (maybe a bit more if necessary) on it as these things can get up to $200 in the blink of an eye. Optimal balance between cost, reliability, and lumens would be great.

As always, I appreciate the insights in advance.

Thanks.

i have the nitecore ea41, happy with it. 2015 model is marketed as 1020 lumens. runs on 4aa's

i have another that runs off 18650s that I prefer but they are specialized bastteries

decide what batteries you want to run off of and go from there.

Edited by Raf

I have a Garrison Heavy Duty LED flash light that was inexpensive and has performed really well now for years.

I bought it @ CT but I see it is no longer available. They do have a new model with 3 watt LED which if as good as the old 1 watt one I have would be an excellent investment.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garrison-3w-cree-flashlight-0650059p.html#.VhfgVBFViko

1877-20110911-2214-54334-Garrison-3W-Cre

I've got a 3 D cell Maglite that dates from the late 70's, better flashlights out there now , but from a tactical standpoint you definitely wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a crack on the head, lives in a handy spot for noises in the night.

Check out the 'Police Security' line-up that Walmart carries.

They're not bad, I have the mid size in my jacket pocket at work. So far I haven't been able to break it. I bought it specifically because despite the name it wasn't too tactical, and just had hi low and pulse, with no face masher on the back or around the lense.

Edited by porkpie

What the heck is a 'tactical' flashlight?

Well here is the Wikipedia definition:

"A tactical light is a flashlight used in conjunction with a firearm to aid low light target identification, allowing the marksman to simultaneously aim and illuminate the target. Tactical lights can be handheld or mounted to the weapon with the light beam parallel to the bore. Tactical lights also serve a role as a method of non-lethal force, used to temporarily blind and disorient targets.[1][2] Features particularly associated with tactical lights include shock resistance, reliability, lightweight and powerful batteries, and high light intensity. Tactical lights may have optional filters to produce colored light, or may emit only infrared radiation for use with night vision equipment. A sighting laser may also be added to a weapon-mounted tactical light."

Agree with Drifter, my house, boat and hunting packs are full of the Garrison 150 Lumen flashlight. They sell them under the Mastercraft label now and the POWER METAL model is on sale this week for $14.99 - great compact flashlight and very durable.

I also have a couple of LED Lenser lights I bought from Lowes Hardware on sale. The PR14 at $70 is an awesome flashlight especially when it goes on sale for $40 (what I paid)

350 Lumen on 4 AA batteries. Lights up half the lake and you can focus the beam.