the ultimate kayak

leaf4

i have a jackson big tuna. its a big heavy beast but super stable. its great to have to option to have two (i've even had my wife and two kids) or solo position. it has two elevated seating postions for both riders, integrated live well and bunch of other features. check out the jackson site.

it's a PITA to load off and on solo but i devised a kayak load assist made out of 2x4s so its manageable.

in the process of installing a trolling motor with foot pedal control. Cant wait to try that out.

I've heard good things about the Nucanoe and i just saw that Sail now carries them for $1000. it also has two seater option and motor mount ready. i would consider that if i was in the market for one.

so your going 4.5' shorter, and your losing the ability to put a real motor on the craft? and it's an upgrade?

most folks tend to go bigger, with bigger motors, on an upgrade....

yakkers are interesting folk :) :)

but for exercise, certainly nothing beats a kayak!

Haha, I definitely will be getting a boat, but that's a couple years away realistically. Working on getting another rental property and then I'll be looking at a house that can hold a boat, so in the meantime I can wait and head out in the father in laws 18.5 with him

Like I said before I had both a great canoe and yak. If I were to get a solo boat again it would be the Old Town Next.its the perfect solo boat IMO. For me weight while solo loadind and unloading is key and if you care to it allows you to carry it to some back woods spots too. Standing is nice but not really easy and without risk in a kayak,a 100 lb + boat is a whine to load and unload unless you have help and impossible to portage....

I kayak the Grand River a lot with my Nucanoe Frontier 12. It is very stable for standing and there's more room by my feet than other kayaks which I like. It is not meant for portaging. The wheel attachment on the back is a must. If I were buying an individual kayak I would look into the Nucanoe Pursuit 14. Faster, but still very stable. Lots of room for mods.

I was at one of the shows last year, felt like I was paying to go to Bass Pro. However they had a kayak testing pool that you could try various kayaks out in and that was cool. there was a short line up when i walked by so yaks are getting alot of interest...

loved mine but sold it to help pay for another boat

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y444/Shloim1/20140419_121336_zps5fe2f492.jpg

If you want a great fishing yak, that is easy to load and portage/cart into back lakes, check out the Wilderness Systems Commander. It will handle a trolling motor (if you want to ruin a perfectly good yak ;) ), is easy to stand and fish in, and is quite a bit lighter than any SOT. It is NOT a Lake O boat: it doesn't self bail like a SOT will, and will take on water in big waves.

If you want the ultimate open-water boat, check out the ATAK: better speed than any other standable yak, and has all the open-water safety of a SOT.