the ultimate kayak

leaf4

Yeah but a used one of those is still $2700 lol, one of these new is that much, outfitted with the minn kota 45lb motor

Hobie is the ultimate if money is no option and you can have a boat that most people cant lift themselves. Jackson wins after that, lots of models at different price points. They're comfortable for a full day of fishing and are stable enough to stand in. I love my Coosa. http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/?d=fishing-hunting

Ive had the MX for a couple seasons now. Old pic, but i just finished up getting it equipped with a trolling motor. Cant wait to get it on the water under electric power :) :)

I love it, it can be a tad heavy when launching solo in tricky spots , but nothing unbearable. Its most notable plus is its stability and comfortable layout. I can stand and fish pretty darn easily.

My buddy just picked up the XL , which is the mani reason i added the motor to mine lol..........gotta keep up

20140701_201501_zps32902f17.jpg

20140701_201519_zpse32b64ce.jpg

this is the ultimate....i know a guy who trolled for salmon on lake o with his

I have a friend in Alaska that fishes salmon and halibut year round out of a Hobie Mirage kayak.

Last year he managed to catch a king salmon out of his yak in every month of the year. :D

Very nice Blaque, I'm thinking of the red, looks sinister haha, can't wait for next season/to sell my scanoe now!

Also drifter how in Alaska is that possible isn't the entire place an ice cube in the winter months!? :P

I have a nucanoe frontier. I had it loaded down the other day with 2 dozen duck decoys, a few geese, a trolling motor battery, trolling motor, camo for the boat, my milk crate full of extras like anchor, tool kit, safety gear etc, my hunting box with shot shells and calls etc, then my 240lb can in the boat. It took me down the marsh at 3.5mph on GPS, was incredibly stable in that I can easily stand and paddle to set decoys, it hides like a dream and when ducks where shot I could use the kayak paddle to quickly nip out and get them. It's great for fishing as well, and I can easily fish with me and one of my kids. It's pretty much the ultimate kayak from where I sit and I'm loving it more every year. Sail carries them, there around a grand. Something to consider.

curious.

i fished out of coleman scanoe for a number of years.

what can a kayak do, that the coleman scanoe could not?

Its just the portability of it that attracts me, plus if I feel like picking up and heading out I have to find a hand to help me take it off and on because its pretty heavy and cumbersome at 16' long and 110lbs, definitely a 2 person process as I don't have a trailer for it.

I also like the idea of trolling around inshore on lake o and Erie

Plus I've always loved kayaks, but I came across the scanoe at a really good deal so I couldn't pass it up haha

Edited by Lucas F

i used my scanoe with a 2hp motor for three years solo.....

did it really weigh >100lbs? wow.

threw her up on the racks on my old chevy lumina car....

i always considered that canoe a very stable ride....

no matter what you use, I'm sure you're going to have a blast :)

Hands free yaking and fishing is great...really enjoy the Hobie...! my .02

Yup, another reason why I like the old town predator, aside from speed, fully hands free I've been out in my canoe trying to set up in spots and trying to fish on the way having to reach behind etc

i used my scanoe with a 2hp motor for three years solo.....

did it really weigh >100lbs? wow.

threw her up on the racks on my old chevy lumina car....

i always considered that canoe a very stable ride....

no matter what you use, I'm sure you're going to have a blast :)

Yeah, 110 its not a big issue I can manhandle it around but I'm not so comfortable doing it around my new to me Tucson lol its only 4 years old so Its a long ways away from me not caring about a ding haha. I keep it at the side of my garage where it juuuussstt fits so even to store it and pull it out, again 2 people haha

I really love Hobie's but how easy are they to hike in or portage over to a lake a few KM away? I would imagine most sit on top kayaks to be in the same boat, please correct me if I'm wrong?

I was looking into Yak's a few years back & was heavily into this model

Feelfree-Lure-115-75-1393951475_zpsnudb7

I eventually fell into a deal I couldn't pass up on a inflatable pontoon but am still really thinking about getting a Yak for shear fun

I really love Hobie's but how easy are they to hike in or portage over to a lake a few KM away? I would imagine most sit on top kayaks to be in the same boat, please correct me if I'm wrong?

I was looking into Yak's a few years back & was heavily into this model

Feelfree-Lure-115-75-1393951475_zpsnudb7

I eventually fell into a deal I couldn't pass up on a inflatable pontoon but am still really thinking about getting a Yak for shear fun

They really aren't portage friendly. At least the SOT kayaks.

If the trail is decent it's not much of an issue as you can get carts to help with the transport.

5678513966_ae9a364a02_z.jpg

bruneau-kayak-cart-3.jpg

As far as advantages of kayak over canoe............I agree, the major reason i left the whole canoe thing is i had a heck of a time getting a canoe on top of the truck and launching solo, then hoisting it back on top of the truck at the end of the day. Hated driving the interstate with that monster on the roof also. The kayak, i whip right in the bed flat and tie it down. Also, the fishing platform designed kayaks are just sooooo stable,,,,,,,,,youd be hard pressed to roll one over. And i also cant take on water on the sit on top kayak, scupper plugs allow for any water taken on to drain out.

And im also independant in the kayak when choosing where on the water to fish lol...........we all know that canoe partner that just doesnt know how to row, and never wants to fish the same water as you. No arguements on a kayak