Fishing this weekend

Cloudy15

I'm heading up with some friends this weekend to Hastings, the trip has been planned for months. They are thinking about turning it into a day because of cold, windy weather.

I know i am always on here asking when to fish, where to fish, how to fish, and what to fish for, pretty much everything short of asking you guys to catch them for me. But, how do you guys think this weather sets up for fishing this weekend? And should we make it just a day trip,I don't really want to.

I have been doing some reading, this sounds encouraging ;The very best time to be on the water is during the drop in barometric pressure that occurs as a low-pressure system approaches. The intensity of the bite often increases as the pressure drops, occasionally right through to the end of the storm. The biggest storm systems are essentially dissipated tropical storms, often hurricanes, which move up through the center of the country and are then drawn eastward. When nor-easters (major coastal storms) blow into the New England region, they can bring with them two- or three-day stretches when the fish are literally hitting everything thrown at them.

During fall, steadily cooling water temperature is often better than long periods of stable water temperature. The cooling water seems to create a sense of urgency. The approach of winter makes them want to feed.

Thanks for any feed back

Sometimes nasty fall weather can make the fish go berserk. However - the winds are gonna be BIG.

So true.

Be safe

Persoanlly i love fishing cold weather fronts but i absolutely hate big winds.

I mean like 40km plus

But i have a small boat so its just way too hard to maintain positions/trolling its drives me bonkers.

I'm heading up with some friends this weekend to Hastings, the trip has been planned for months. They are thinking about turning it into a day because of cold, windy weather.

I know i am always on here asking when to fish, where to fish, how to fish, and what to fish for, pretty much everything short of asking you guys to catch them for me. But, how do you guys think this weather sets up for fishing this weekend? And should we make it just a day trip,I don't really want to.

I have been doing some reading, this sounds encouraging ;The very best time to be on the water is during the drop in barometric pressure that occurs as a low-pressure system approaches. The intensity of the bite often increases as the pressure drops, occasionally right through to the end of the storm. The biggest storm systems are essentially dissipated tropical storms, often hurricanes, which move up through the center of the country and are then drawn eastward. When nor-easters (major coastal storms) blow into the New England region, they can bring with them two- or three-day stretches when the fish are literally hitting everything thrown at them.

During fall, steadily cooling water temperature is often better than long periods of stable water temperature. The cooling water seems to create a sense of urgency. The approach of winter makes them want to feed.

Thanks for any feed back

I would like to know where you got that from??

Sometimes nasty fall weather can make the fish go berserk. However - the winds are gonna be BIG.

So true.

Be safe

Persoanlly i love fishing cold weather fronts but i absolutely hate big winds.

I mean like 40km plus

But i have a small boat so its just way too hard to maintain positions/trolling its drives me bonkers.

I have a nitro , not exactly made for big water. However I am on the Trent and it's pretty narrow. Couple of islands to hide behind as well. Fishing for water bites , pike and bass mainly. Also,I might not appreciate how intense 40km is.

I would like to know where you got that from??

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/fishing/2010/10/fishing-fronts-how-storms-effect-fishing?page=0%2C1 was this The very best time to be on the water is during the drop in barometric pressure that occurs as a low-pressure system approaches. The intensity of the bite often increases as the pressure drops, occasionally right through to the end of the storm. The biggest storm systems are essentially dissipated tropical storms, often hurricanes, which move up through the center of the country and are then drawn eastward. When nor-easters (major coastal storms) blow into the New England region, they can bring with them two- or three-day stretches when the fish are literally hitting everything thrown at them.

http://honestmusky.com/dont-beat-a-dead-horse/

There ya go.

So, four of us went out, we caught 6 small to medium pike and 3 decent bass on Sat. I tossed a giant storm thunderstick sun raise to sun down. Lost one pretty decent Muskie at the boat, and one seemingly huge large mouth (on the giant thunder stick), didn't get a great look at it. The wind was pretty intense. Instead of fighting it I dragged a 2.5lb weight and a 5lb weight just a basic work out round weight.I had it rigged so i could snap each weight on and off or have both depending on the drift speed. I really liked how it worked and was still able to use my electric to control depth, Until it died. Pretty good trip, might head up during the week to fish some of the nicer weather.