Career changes NF

2 tone z71

I'm about to 'suffer" every guys nightmare. after 41 yrs. at managing a bowling center, I will be unemployed come April, 2016..at the age of 59! That industry is suffering a huge drop-off in popularity, but, I'm tired of putting up with people cryin' the blues hour after hour because they are getting older too, and can't score high anymore. if they do good, it's cuz they're good...if they bowl bad, it's cuz I screwed the lane conditions up.

I plan on helping a friend tend oil/gas wells, which will not require me to see humans all day long.... and spending more time at my custom rodbuilding shop :good:

Worked in manufacturing out of school, then into plumbing (hurt my back) couldn't do it anymore, then taxidermy (not enough income), decided to go to college in my mid 30's and have worked in the social service field (case manager, teacher and management) for 20 years. If I could do it over, I would have went to school to become a Building Inspector and get a job with a municipality. Many municipalities are having a hard time finding inspectors as the original group retires. Guys in construction make more in the field, but it is usually a good wage with benefits and pension.

Edited by jimmer

Home inspectors are not yet licensed or regulated in Ontario unlike building inspectors for the municipalities. I looked at it when I retired and it was an online course from Mohawk College it still is online. You received a certificate by the loose knit association in Ontario. Considering other than testing a few electrical sockets it's all visual non destructive testing. It's a booming business now for all residential sales. I'm told by the person that wanted me to do the course that anyone that nit pics will be looking for work because both agents want a inspection to pass. They call them deal killers. Have the customer sign a waiver for anything not seen and you get paid. Not a bad gig. When we sold Mom and Dad's place I was amazed what the inspector missed and the house was empty. Who knows what tomorrow brings I may still do it. The course was around $1000.00 5 years ago. Anyone with general building knowledge would do it easily. Climbing the roof is the only drawback to check flashings around stacks, that's about it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Well, first of all, don't rule anything out and I am the king of career changes because I always wanted to try new things: I won't even bother going back to the first 40 years but in the last 30 i've:

For the first 20 of those I ran and then sold a very successful sales/service technology based company. It's the last 10 that have been the most fun. I was a sales manager for a seed company and started a branch of the company involved with food plots for wild life. Went back to school, served an apprenticeship and got my license as a small engine mechanic. Was a key account manager for a company that supplied office coffee products, and finally at 68 saw an opening for a truck driver at a company here in Lindsay (just driving a pickup truck part time and on call) so I applied for it.

Well this is the best job I think I have ever had, the pay isn't anything near what I could make in many other jobs but it's a lot better than minimum wage. I have gone from driving a pickup truck to driving a straight truck (with limitations because I only have my G license) but I can now work pretty much when I want to. Sometimes I get more hours than I'd really like but they didn't hire me because of my good looks!

The company and the people I work for are fantastic. I work hard and they APPRECIATE it, an average day on the road for me is 12 hours and when I get home at the end of the day I am tired but it's a good tired. So here I am at almost 70 I just passed my written and medical for my D license and hope to get my road test in shortly which I don't see as a problem as I already drive the same size truck throughout the GTA on an almost daily basis and have done for a year now.

I am happier now than I have ever been, when I go into work in the morning I get in my truck (yes, MY TRUCK, Marbert Transport # 209 affectionatly dubbed White Lightning by our dispatcher, I won't go into why :whistling: ) they bought a straight truck for me to drive and the only time that truck moves out of the yard without me is if they are stuck and I am not available). I usually start out with a run sheet for the day but because I usually do LTL stuff that is subject to change and often does. Every day is exciting and new and I am always meeting new people and seeing new and interesting places and things. Who'd have ever thought that a guy that spent most of his life in senior or middle management positions would be happiest behind the wheel of a truck?

With your skill set and experience I would think that a position (or business) as a "Property Manager" might be a good fit and a viable business in Elliot Lake.

Whatever you do just remember; money can't buy you family so family first and everything else will follow!

Well, first of all, don't rule anything out and I am the king of career changes because I always wanted to try new things: I won't even bother going back to the first 40 years but in the last 30 i've:

For the first 20 of those I ran and then sold a very successful sales/service technology based company. It's the last 10 that have been the most fun. I was a sales manager for a seed company and started a branch of the company involved with food plots for wild life. Went back to school, served an apprenticeship and got my license as a small engine mechanic. Was a key account manager for a company that supplied office coffee products, and finally at 68 saw an opening for a truck driver at a company here in Lindsay (just driving a pickup truck part time and on call) so I applied for it.

Well this is the best job I think I have ever had, the pay isn't anything near what I could make in many other jobs but it's a lot better than minimum wage. I have gone from driving a pickup truck to driving a straight truck (with limitations because I only have my G license) but I can now work pretty much when I want to. Sometimes I get more hours than I'd really like but they didn't hire me because of my good looks!

The company and the people I work for are fantastic. I work hard and they APPRECIATE it, an average day on the road for me is 12 hours and when I get home at the end of the day I am tired but it's a good tired. So here I am at almost 70 I just passed my written and medical for my D license and hope to get my road test in shortly which I don't see as a problem as I already drive the same size truck throughout the GTA on an almost daily basis and have done for a year now.

I am happier now than I have ever been, when I go into work in the morning I get in my truck (yes, MY TRUCK, Marbert Transport # 209 affectionatly dubbed White Lightning by our dispatcher, I won't go into why :whistling: ) they bought a straight truck for me to drive and the only time that truck moves out of the yard without me is if they are stuck and I am not available). I usually start out with a run sheet for the day but because I usually do LTL stuff that is subject to change and often does. Every day is exciting and new and I am always meeting new people and seeing new and interesting places and things. Who'd have ever thought that a guy that spent most of his life in senior or middle management positions would be happiest behind the wheel of a truck?

With your skill set and experience I would think that a position (or business) as a "Property Manager" might be a good fit and a viable business in Elliot Lake.

Whatever you do just remember; money can't buy you family so family first and everything else will follow!

....Cliff that was a great read this morning...motivating as well ,thanks for that,maybe I'll find me a white lightning :)