Career changes NF

2 tone z71

I left construction for much the same reason... I broke some bones in my wrist in and out of casts for well over a year.... Then surgery.

Well to swing a hammer all day, heavy vibrations etc sent me home in pain at the end of the day. Not to mentions working in all sorts of weather.

I'll be 40 this year. I moved into manufacturing... I'm still on the tools (wrenches etc) but it's no where near as taxing in the body... The pay is good, I just show up, go home and get paid. Simple really.

Company paid pension, stock options, RSPs and benefits for life are also very attractive. Good luck finding that with the majority of contracting firms.

I made the right choice for me.

G

I also work in construction (sheet metal) and honestly, I'm probably going to go through to be a plumber too, my dad is one and can keep himself as busy as he wants with only side jobs, I can't do that with sheet metal and my work is more labour intensive, is there a project manager course you could take? I'm sure with all your years in the industry you would know a fair deal on how one would run the paperwork side

honesty, stay away from customer service, people can be brutal, been a butcher for the last 15 years, and it takes a great deal of patience and thick skin to deal with certain people. others are a breeze to deal with

note the bold text, how did that fly under the radar here folks for no comment? That's funny, gold right there. Butcher and thick skin... lol

As for the topic at hand. I have done a few changes since let's say 2010. I went from an IT corporate sales role to headhunter, back to IT sales, now sales/sales trainer and subject matter expert for sales/product knowledge. If you are willing to take the leap to change and willing to put 100% into learning the new job you are after you can pull it off. Now the question isn't what can you do. It's what do you WANT to do?

note the bold text, how did that fly under the radar here folks for no comment? That's funny, gold right there. Butcher and thick skin... lol

As for the topic at hand. I have done a few changes since let's say 2010. I went from an IT corporate sales role to headhunter, back to IT sales, now sales/sales trainer and subject matter expert for sales/product knowledge. If you are willing to take the leap to change and willing to put 100% into learning the new job you are after you can pull it off. Now the question isn't what can you do. It's what do you WANT to do?

learning is easy when motivated. learning doesn't go as easy when your heart and mind are not in it. anyone can appear to 'walk on water' provided they learn where the stones are just under the surface... ;)

I agree with this fully.

Think about what you want to do and direct your motivation into it.

MORE IMPORTANTLY figure out how to make your body feel good first than chase down your dreams wherever they might take you.

You may end up back in construction or who knows? But if your body pains hold you back then it becomes pretty hard to think your way through new challenges....

Fix yourself and the rest will follow ..

One step at a time..

Don.

The idea of home inspector sounds like a neat option. Your construction experience would certainly be helpful.

I kind of disagree with the "do what you WANT to do" concept. I pay more attention to job stability, benefits, location, stress level, pay, work environment, and things like that. As long as a job has all that, it doesn't really matter what exactly I'm doing .... as long as it's something I don't mind and am qualified to do, I'm happy.

I've never had a true passion for what I do. I don't need to. My true passions lie outside of work.

Only you know what career you will chase. I've had more careers since taking my pension that I had in my first 30 some odd years working. I d suggest you spend a few bucks and see a career consultant. They will put you through a battery of tests, an IQ test and the personality survey. If you have a problem with stupid people customer service might not be for you for example. If you worked construction sitting in the same chair for 7 hours will kill you in my experience. I found myself as a sales manager for a few years, I wanted to kill a few sales people I had, as well as a few nut bar customers that thought a good time was wasting my time. So as I suggested see someone that may steer you in the right direction. I bet they say you are best suited for construction.

Lots of good advice...

One thing to keep in mind, if a physical limitation is forcing the change, and you can get your doctor on board, it makes it a lot EASIER to access whatever help the bureaucracies can offer... Going that route or paying for a career councilor yourself, it what any of them steer you towards doesn't "feel" right immediately on hearing it, it probably isn't, so in the end only you can decide.

I went back to school at 32. Took environmental technology at fleming college. Been working FT permanent since graduating. Benfore that ran my own carpentry company for 10 yrs. I really miss building stuff, but my back thanks me every day. I still do a few side jobs to pay for my fishing and hunting addiction though. I dont regret going back to school one bit!

I went back to school @ 38 and took information technology courses.

Been game fully employed since I graduated.

I have been working for the government of the NWT for almost 9 years now.

Making great $$$$ and will have an excellent pension when I retire in 2028. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Before that I was working as an assembly line supervisor @ a van assembly operation upfitting work vehicles with lights, shelving, headache racks, ladder racks etc. Did work for companies like Bell, Rogers and Ontario Hydro.