Report/Pics: unspeckled trout trip

adolson

Hit a small lake in the middle of nowhere with my brother today... They were all pretty little, but what are these things, Atlantics?

I will translate:

"Hit a small lake right beside the road with my brother today...They were all pretty little, but I finally caught an Aurora!"

You're a funny guy, congrat's!! :clapping:

Guys, be serious. These are not auroras. Impossible, since they don't exist, and we weren't even fishing one of the aurora lakes.

The two of us caught between 10 and 15 of them in an afternoon, which makes them the easiest trout we've ever caught, ever. Again, another strike against them being auroras.

The only thing in favor of them being auroras is that they lack the spots, and they fought like crazy - they felt like a fish 5 times their size, which only increased the disappointment as they neared the canoe.

We were getting annoyed because we were trying to catch some nice brook trout, which is all that was supposed to be in the lake, but these little things kept hitting our lures, no matter where we went, what we put on, if we trolled or cast... We only managed two "regular" brook trout.

So what are they, some new kind of invasive trout species?

Edited by Dana

Dude nice auroras!! Believe me when I say Auroras.. I've worked at Hill's Lake FCS rearing, feeding, spawning and stocking them, so I can ID them well.

I probably don't have to remind you of the rules re: catching auroras. That lake you fished is also listed on Fish ON-Line.

Here's the link just in case...

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

Gonna hit up a lake northwest of Timmins for them next weekend!!

cheers

HD

Yep. First thing I did was sent the pics to the MNR. I might stop in at the Hill's Lake hatchery sometime if I don't hear back soonish. Someone there might know what's up.

Isn't the limit 1 each and you've gotta keep them? ie no catch and release? I know they had some weird regs.

Yes, that's the regs... But we were fishing a non-aurora lake. So what do you do if you hit your regular trout lake, and you pull in something that's not supposed to be there? We pulled out two brook trout from the lake, which is what was supposed to be in there, and what we were targeting.

Dude nice auroras!! Believe me when I say Auroras.. I've worked at Hill's Lake FCS rearing, feeding, spawning and stocking them, so I can ID them well.

I probably don't have to remind you of the rules re: catching auroras. That lake you fished is also listed on Fish ON-Line.

Here's the link just in case...

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

Gonna hit up a lake northwest of Timmins for them next weekend!!

cheers

HD

That lake we fished is listed on Fish ON-Line, yes. And it doesn't say anything about auroras...
Edited by Dana

Isn't the limit 1 each and you've gotta keep them? ie no catch and release? I know they had some weird regs.

Yip.. and you're supposed to stop fishing after you've caught one. So feigning ignorance ain't gonna help ya when you contact the ministry to report a new species of trout...

But hey, I'm sure they'd get a chuckle if you swore that you thought they were Atlantics!!

I was thinking splake too.

Wow...... So ok, you pick up your canoe and portage to a lake a km away to go fishing because a buddy told you about a good brook trout lake.

First cast you hook into a for sure for sure Aurora trout. You have to pick up your gear and leave the lake? Sooooo strange.

Yeah, I mean, I'm still not even 100% convinced it's auroras, and I didn't believe it in the moment, either. We had tried for them at Pallet Lake in the morning with not even a bite, so we left and went to a year-round brook trout lake for the afternoon (and no, it wasn't Lake 57 by mistake - I had my GPS and we weren't even near it). First cast hooked into a brookie; thought it was a sign of good things to come...

I'd like to think some people here know me well enough that I wouldn't willingly be breaking regulations. Obviously, if it had been Pallet or Big Club Lake, we wouldn't have continued fishing, being fully aware of the regs. I'd also have been convinced I'd caught an aurora and you can bet your ass would have celebrated and had a shore lunch... Instead, I was just confused and somewhat annoyed. We did only keep one each, just in case, but continued to fish the lake for brook trout, which produced only two total for the few hours we were there.

In my opinion, it's pretty stupid if they list a lake as being open year-round for brook trout, and then dump auroras in there... Considering they say they're the same species, and auroras are just a color morph, maybe they've decided to stop the aurora program and just dump all the stock into brookie lakes? That would make sense I guess, but I still want confirmation and clarification from an official.