Boating and Trailering Safety Do's and Dont's

alexw

snapshot-plus-card.jpg

Yup your best friend on a road trip; even with a lot of the drivers being morons. LOL

It's great having all these parts with you, especially wheel bearings; but usually when a wheel bearing fails, while driving and by the time you can feel it enough to pull over; one of the bearing's inner races will likely be welded to the spindle.

It's not coming off without torches and grinders; if it hasn't ruined the spindle all together. All I'm saying is; it's not getting fixed on the side of the road.

Dan.

While I do carry a torch in my boat box, I have had many bearing failures at roadside due to many miles trailered, poor maintenance in my youth and generally crappy trailers on duck boats and the like. And in all the failures I've had, I've only had one race seized on the spindle. And that's why I have a torch in my boat box LOL. I also am a lot more dilligent with my maintenance these days.

I remember about 14 years ago,getting my truck at the time and boat buried at a sand launch.Been there many times with no issues.This time my two younger boys with me.I had CTC gold card,5 free tows a year within 200km .Unlimited if you took your vehicle to Ct .That is another story.lol.Anyway called the 800 #,told my issues with boat,no problem,pulled us out just fine.Not a break down,but nice knowing there was not a extra charge to pull the boat out.These kind of policies can be bought for under $150.00 a year.Talk about piece of mind.I do 80,000km a year easy.No brainier here .

Two weeks ago, just started on our trip back from the Perth area, pulled out of the gravel road from the cabin and onto the paved road into Perth in my friends Suburban (which I was driving because of his DL situation) and we felt a vibration. I looked at my friend and he asked if I still had it in 4x4 and I said no. Just as he said to pull over, I saw smoke coming from the trailer tire and then it just shredded into pieces. My first thought was "Oh no, knowing how ill-prepared my friend normally is, he probably has no jack or tire iron (he did). Looked in the mirror and a tow truck had pulled in right behind us. Two great young guys, they changed the tire at n/c (made them take money for lunch and a beer) in 15 minutes and we were back on our way. When we saw they had a CAA sticker, my friend said he would call it in and then they would get paid by CAA, but apparently they were out ouf their territory and couldn't do a CAA call.

Moral of the story is, sometimes the fates are watching out for you, whether you deserve it or not.

Makes sure the ball is the right one. Make sure the safety lock is in place. Make sure you put on safety chains.

Saw a poor older fella take a utility trailer head on on Shannonville rd last month. Guy coming the other way hit the train tracks, trailer popped off, poor guy couldn't do a thing to avoid it. I know if I got hit due to someone being lazy I would be pissed right off. Probably end up with an assault charge.

Spare tires, make sure they are the right size, load range, air pressure and have a spare. To leave a $30,000.00 dollar boat on the side of the road because of being to lazy or cheap. Maybe it won't be there when you get back.

If your hitch is removable, put a lock on it as well. I can see someone just pulling the hitch out of your truck. Use a lock on the trailer as well. A bolt or pin isn't worth squat. Wouldn't it be nice to get back to the dock and no trailer.

Make sure all light's work every time. A $2 bulb is a lot cheaper then a ticket.

Common sense is the word.

Regards

To leave a $30,000.00 dollar boat on the side of the road because of being to lazy or cheap. Maybe it won't be there when you get back.

If your hitch is removable, put a lock on it as well. Use a lock on the trailer as well.

Pretty sad that we have to think this way isn't it.

Lock on the hitch pin, lock on the receiver, lock on the spare tire, locks on the trailer wheels, lock on the stainless prop plus whatever else.

Yup, pretty sad indeed.

Pretty sad that we have to think this way isn't it.

Lock on the hitch pin, lock on the receiver, lock on the spare tire, locks on the trailer wheels, lock on the stainless prop plus whatever else.

Yup, pretty sad indeed.

Whatcha takin bout Lew?

Didnt you read that other thread about protecting your property?

According to most there is ZERO crime in Canada???

Locks are for honest people; if someone wants your stuff they're taking it.

A buddy of mine, launched his boat out of Turkey Point marina; busy place, parking lot always filled with trucks & trailers.

He gets back in at the end of the day, walks to his truck and his trailers gone. Well most of it anyway; his locked trailer coupler was still on the ball.

Most couplers are only bolted on with 2 bolts; with today's cordless tools; an electric impact gun would make short order of unbolting a coupler and attaching a different one.

8096968.jpg?_v=5a94e708-b43a-47fc-b9d2-5

Insurance covered the trailer and the first thing he had done to it was too have the coupler welded to the trailer.

Dan.

Locks are for honest people; if someone wants your stuff they're taking it.

A buddy of mine, launched his boat out of Turkey Point marina; busy place, parking lot always filled with trucks & trailers.

He gets back in at the end of the day, walks to his truck and his trailers gone. Well most of it anyway; his locked trailer coupler was still on the ball.

Most couplers are only bolted on with 2 bolts; with today's cordless tools; an electric impact gun would make short order of unbolting a coupler and attaching a different one.

8096968.jpg?_v=5a94e708-b43a-47fc-b9d2-5

Insurance covered the trailer and the first thing he had done to it was too have the coupler welded to the trailer.

Dan.

Mine is welded on which is a good thing although it's still easy to steal even if it is locked.

All one has to do is remove the nut on the end of the latch from the underside of the hitch.

Well Lew, that is the other reason I use locks. Very little chance of them rattling loose. I also take apart my hubs once a year, clean everything , check for any damage or rust and repack.

So far (knock o wood) the worst I had was a flat. But have seen plenty worse.

For me it is a sense of well being while I travel. Everything works right and safety is there.

Regards

Roughing up the threads of the bolts that hold the hitch onto the tralier will do it pretty good without burning off paint or Line-X material. From there my Progressive Insurance can handle the rest...................found out it's much better then any Auto Club.....

Edited by Mister G

Have you guys ever used a high torque cordless impact gun?

After 10 or 15 seconds, they'll snap a 1/2 inch bolt; as if was made out of soft lead.

It doesn't really matter though, if they want your stuff bad enough; it's theirs.

All we can do is make the thieves work harder to get it.

Dan

I've never had anything stolen and consider myself lucky because of that but like you say Dan we just try to make things less attractive to the punks.

My daughter came out to her car to go to work a few months back and found her personalized license plates stolen.

I've never had anything stolen and consider myself lucky because of that but like you say Dan we just try to make things less attractive to the punks.

My daughter came out to her car to go to work a few months back and found her personalized license plates stolen.

And I wonder what good they are to someone else?.Nasty just the same .

And I wonder what good they are to someone else?.Nasty just the same .

Someone suggested maybe this moron collects personalized plates but who knows what goes through the minds of these lowlifes davey.

Someone suggested maybe this moron collects personalized plates but who knows what goes through the minds of these lowlifes davey.

Must have a hidden man cave with all those plates.Would have to be proud of them. Lowlifes is a gentle word,I have a few others I could use.