Boating and Trailering Safety Do's and Dont's

alexw

Extra trailer lights, at least the lens. Recently had one of my trailer lights damaged on a trip. I put the spare lens on and good to travel back home. The guys couldn't believe that I had one in the truck. Some good tips here.

I never leave home without spare bulbs, but never thought about a spare lense......I think I have a couple floating around here somewhere too. The red 100mph tape makes a great lense in a pinch too. Always have a roll of that handy!

S.

If you end up blowing out the hub bearings, the hub will ride on the axle / nut, and eventually ream out the hub enough that it cannot retain the bearing. I learned the hard way on my way back from Temagami this year. I would strongly suggest packing a full hub assembly and stashing it in the boat, as G.Mech has mentioned. It left me stranded for a long time. I had everything else but

Extra trailer lights, at least the lens. Recently had one of my trailer lights damaged on a trip. I put the spare lens on and good to travel back home. The guys couldn't believe that I had one in the truck. Some good tips here.

you also saved me with those after Joe smashed mine in a fit of rage. (i picked up a pair for myself at princess auto)

Remove the boat's drain plug when on the trailer.

On the way home from a trip, we ran into a heavy rain storm; that seemed to follow us for at lease 45 minutes or more. I was pulling my 12 foot tinny with an older 2 wheel drive Dakota and I could feel the truck start working harder and harder to pull this little boat? I thought maybe a wheel bearing was beginning to seize; so I pulled off the highway. Walking back looking down at the wheels; they looked half flat? Looked in the boat and it was almost half full of water.

So yea pulling the plug is just as important as putting it in.

Dan.

we had that happen a couple summers ago, entire drive home from Georgina it was coming down in sheets. up the off ramp in mississauga i looked back to see everything floating about 3" from the top of the gunwales. took forever to drain the stupid thing..

Good tips here, lots of things I always do. I'll mention a few that I'm not sure I've seen come up..

I always shake the trailer when I hook it on to the truck to see if anything moves in the up down, kind of the same as using a jack, works best with a light boat. :)

I put my hand on and around my hubs at each stop, checking quickly for heat/leaks.

I always make sure my tires are less than about 6-7 years old. They don't get worn down, but they're not that expensive at all, and I like having the peace of mind. Plus, you can sell the ones on the trailer to help cover the cost, to someone who likes to live more dangerously!

I also always have a half dozen extra rowing boat straps on me, in case I have to tie any/everything down along the way. 2 years ago, pulling out of 3 mile lake, my wife informed me that my "carpet" was floating away. She was talking about my trailer bunker, of course.. I fished it out, and the wood was too rotten to get some screws in, so a couple good wraps with some boat straps, and I was on my way in no time!

Also, maybe check your trailer bunkers when the boat is off...

I carry lots of tools, tp, first aid stuff, extra bulbs, electrical items, fasteners, bearing kits, cotter pins, boat plugs, locks and hitch pins and of course duck tape.

I always make sure the trailer is super tight to the hitch ball. I always check bearing temps with my hand at pit stops and do regular light and strap checks. I am a worrier.

This happened to me last year - was fishing for a couple days just north of Kingston - then it started to rain very heavy - the forecast was for rain the next couple days so we decided to call it quits and head home - it was cold and really raining as we were taking the boat out of the water - as I was hooking it up some kids in a canoe came along and asked if they could stand in my truck camper and get out of the rain for a few minutes and get dried off - I said sure and gave them some towels to wipe themselves - after they left we started on our journey home

We arrive at the border and waiting in line when some guy knocks on my truck window - he tells me my latch on the boat trailer receiver is sticking up - I thanked him and go back to check - holy mackerel - when I got distracted back at the boat launch I forgot to put the latch down - didn't hook up the safety chains or the lights - I drove around 50 miles with the trailer just sitting on the receiver ball - man was I lucky - all it would have taken was a good bump and the boat would have come loose and only God knows what could have happened - I get uptight whenever I think about it -

So my advice is - take you time and don't be in a hurry when hooking up your boat - take the time to double check everything before driving away - you can be sure that's what I do anymore -

Jack, lug wrench, board, electrical bits and pieces (tape, connectors, wire), spare bulbs, and a spare tire. My bearings are in good shape and are well maintained. Too tight, no grease, leaky seals, overloaded, etc... are the main problems. Do a yearly check (more often if you trailer often). Lights get checked EVERY single time. The boat is a different story. I keep a dry box filled with cotter pins, tools, fuses, basic first aid kit, etc... a spare prop, prop wrench and piece of wood to wedge the prop for removal (after boating on GBay for years, I can do a Bo and Luke Duke prop change..3-4 minutes). And.... make sure I have at least 1/3rd more fuel than I need for a trip. I ran into people sooo many times that ran out of fuel, to the point I would let them row back in. Breakdowns, running aground, baffing shoals, I would help out. But running out of gas, that is stupidity, plain and simple. I did ONCE, and padelled my boat in, mind you it was only a hundred yards when I first got my boat and wanted to see how far it could run on 'E' (not far, when it indicated empty, it is).

you also saved me with those after Joe smashed mine in a fit of rage. (i picked up a pair for myself at princess auto)

LOL!! Glad they worked out for you and you won't regret having a set.

This happened to me last year - was fishing for a couple days just north of Kingston - then it started to rain very heavy - the forecast was for rain the next couple days so we decided to call it quits and head home - it was cold and really raining as we were taking the boat out of the water - as I was hooking it up some kids in a canoe came along and asked if they could stand in my truck camper and get out of the rain for a few minutes and get dried off - I said sure and gave them some towels to wipe themselves - after they left we started on our journey home

We arrive at the border and waiting in line when some guy knocks on my truck window - he tells me my latch on the boat trailer receiver is sticking up - I thanked him and  go back to check - holy mackerel - when I got distracted back at the boat launch  I forgot to put the latch down - didn't hook up the safety chains or the lights - I drove around 50 miles with the trailer just sitting  on the receiver ball - man was I lucky - all it would have taken was a good bump and the boat would have come loose and only  God knows what could have happened - I get uptight whenever I think about it -

So my advice is - take you time and don't be in a hurry when hooking up your boat - take the time to double check everything before driving away - you can be sure that's what I do anymore -

Circle check. Years ago when I worked with a landscaping company they had us do a circle check before moving a vehicle. Checked all fluids in the morning, all lights, if towing a trailer that it was hooked up properly, ensure that things were tied down properly, overall visual inspection of everything and that all was gassed up for the day. Not a bad thing to do when towing anything.

I always carry the basics and trailer a lot every season probly 10,000km anyways and I have the wet hubs on my trailer and always check with my hand at gas stops or whatever I have a clear cap that I can see the oil level in my hubs and change my trailer tires every 3 summers and check all bolts for tightness a few times every season and so far have never had a massive failure of any kind. But if I do I have CAA package that includes towing my trailer(s) to safety as I have a sled trailer too so it does give me some piece of mind to know my rigs will not be left in the middle of nowhere for along time !!!!

so far have never had a massive failure of any kind. But if I do I have CAA package that includes towing my trailer(s) to safety as I have a sled trailer too so it does give me some piece of mind to know my rigs will not be left in the middle of nowhere for along time !!!!

snapshot-plus-card.jpg

Yup your best friend on a road trip; even with a lot of the drivers being morons. LOL

It's great having all these parts with you, especially wheel bearings; but usually when a wheel bearing fails, while driving and by the time you can feel it enough to pull over; one of the bearing's inner races will likely be welded to the spindle.

It's not coming off without torches and grinders; if it hasn't ruined the spindle all together. All I'm saying is; it's not getting fixed on the side of the road.

Dan.

snapshot-plus-card.jpg

Yup your best friend on a road trip; even with a lot of the drivers being morons. LOL

It's great having all these parts with you, especially wheel bearings; but usually when a wheel bearing fails, while driving and by the time you can feel it enough to pull over; one of the bearing's inner races will likely be welded to the spindle.

It's not coming off without torches and grinders; if it hasn't ruined the spindle all together. All I'm saying is; it's not getting fixed on the side of the road.

Dan.

Good point. Looks like CAA Plus does not cover boat though. Might have to go up one level to Plus RV membership.

I've got a swing-away tongue on my trailer and carry and extra retaining pin in case anyone decides to wander off with mine.

I switched mine out with a pad lock (not the long pin but the pin that secures the long pin if you know what I mean). Yes it is one more key, but it is worth peace of mind of it not going missing.

Edited by fisher