Are ya still lovin your Smoker.....NF

lookinforwalleye

$30 odd BILLION in stock decline.... there's gonna be a few out of work Mexicans in the coming weeks.

Question is, can these cars legally pass the Fresh Air test and what if anything can Volkswagen do to fix it? Then, there will be all those folks in class action lawsuits wanting compensation or a new car.

Interesting times ahead.

HH

haha, thread title had me fooled, was about to say yeah Imma gonna do some side ribs this weekend lol.

yeah, VW really, really screwed themselves over because of a few extra kms or hps. a class action will devastate them and from what I understand, veedub would probably lose. worst part for me is the damage they've done to diesel. this will set back diesel in NA for some years to come. greedy my mom hates me.

they'll all pass because the current ontario drive clean just checks the car's computer to make sure the handful of emissions devices are operating correctly. which they are.

we have no sniffer test anymore and even if we did, the computer apparently knows a test is being done and switches to 'clean' mode.

since the issue is with the software on the computer itself, i suspect there will be a recall that will reprogram the computer to 'fix' the software which many people will avoid doing because it will involve a negative hit to the mpg / hp. since there's no such thing as a mandatory recall and no way for the mto to know if a recall was performaed, these vehicles will remain on the road, business as usual. if they somehow mandate the recall, tdi ecus will become a hot commodity as owners will want a spare. ;)

Edited by Raf

At least in California, I believe they will have to buy back the cars.

The EPA fines, the class actions, torpedoed business reputation and valuation, demoralizing the diesel sector.... time to pack up and go home boys.

My question is...when can the sitting smugly "clean" diesel owners go back to sitting smugly?

Cheers,

Mark

VW has set aside approx 10 billion dollars the deal with this issue, and that is just the start !!

Over 30% plunge in stocks already,

This doesn't sound like business as usual to me, This is bigger than anything auto industry has ever seen.

This is not a mistake or an oversight, a faulty part or defect in workmanship, it was deliberately done to cheat environmental laws and regulations.

I know $10B buys a lot of lawyers but class action lawsuits and Govt penalties are going to get very ugly for VW,

Edited by stonefish

nobody believes those figures do they....my Jeep is supposed to get 29 MPG on the hiway....and it did get that once...when I drove to Nakina and back!!!

When it comes to vehicles people have short memories....I am shocked anybody would buy a GM product after they were murdering their customer and got caught try to cover it up....It would be nice if consumers sent them a strong clear message!!!

I got one... Wish I hadn't the gas mileage and the oil change savings doesn't save me much money when the regular maintenance cost is astronomical

Exactly why I got rid of my last VW golf in 2013. From 1986 until 2013 I drove 3 different VW Golfs. Back in 86 diesel was way cheaper then gas and there service was expensive but not out of line. Every year diesel got more expensive and so did VW service.

Have not regretted my decision in 2013...actually feel even better about it now knowing I'm not supporting a company run by a bunch of crooks.

Good chance this will bankrupt VW

It would really have to stick around for awhile. I believe they are sitting on 30 billion in cash.

Doubt it... GM had recalls and errors that killed people. This is nothing

GM thing was an unforseen problem with an asinine response and coverup.

VW thing appears to be outright fraud and deceit with an asinine response and coverup.

To their buyers, to the EPA, to the states and Countries that have allowed the vehicles/dealers on the road under deceitful certifications, to their shareholders who thought the company would operate in the best interests of the company...

I can see many attorneys general filing suits, though Tennessee would be a surprise.

Cheers,

Mark

Porche owns Volkswagon; not 100%, but they are the largest shareholder.

Porche was originally going to buy VW, but the 2 companies merged, and then VW bought Porche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen#Relationship_with_Porsche_and_the_Volkswagen_Law

On 1 March 2011, Volkswagen has finalized the purchase of Porsche Holding Salzburg (PHS), Germany's leading specialty automobile distributor, for €3.3 billion ($4.55 billion).[63]