Hitting Pigeon this weekend...

T-Bone

Haven't been up to Pigeon Lake since 1999, but me and a couple buddies are finally making our long-awaited return there this weekend for mostly relaxing, but of course some fishing too. Will be up a the north end out of Trails End Lodge.

Not asking for locations or anything like that, but what can we expect in terms of finding walleyes and bass (either smallies or large)? Any general insights like 'suspended', 'deep', 'hugging breaklines', etc. would be helpful. And, if we're using live bait, would minnows, crawlers, or leeches be the better bet? Not even sure if you can still get leeches this late in the year. Plan on hitting Mark's Worm Warehouse on the way in to get our licenses and bait.

We're going to try running some baits for muskies, but we're not holding our breath there...just hoping for lightning to strike in the form of a 'ski if we're lucky enough.

Weather forecast is looking awesome...early-autumn at its best. We simply can't wait to get there...

We're driving 8-hours each way for this and hopefully can pick-up some general tips so our time on the water gives us the best chance for some level of success.

Thanks in advance for the insights.

as a rule of thumb the bass fishing on pigeon/buckhorn has been fantastic for numbers this year but really tough on size. One of my best friends has fished buckhorn/pigeon close to 100 days this summer and hasnt caught a bass over 4 yet which is unheard of.

I spent a couple weekends on buckhorn/pigeon this year and we caught a whole pile LM , but not one over 3.5. Numbers were somewhere close to 100 over 2 days.

The walleye fishing this year specifically has been really good, lots and lots of eaters, we were catching them on crankbaits on shoals. they were even hitting plastics.

As far as musky goes, ill let you know! ill be most likely on pigeon this weekend for skis with pete!

Edited by AKRISONER

Lost a big one at the net tonight on pigeon. A real heart breaker! 45"+.....it was in the net for a second......I still want to throw up.

Magnum M&G spinnerbait. Gold blades, yellow bucktail trolled 4mph along a weededge on an inside corner.

Good luck!

S.

Hopefully you have a depthfinder. There is great fishing in the area to the east of Trails End at this time of year. Find the area of 45-60 ft. deep water and use 3/8 to 1/2 ounce jig with slv/blk curly tail or paddle tail with worm and stinger hook (worm is important). The walleyes are deep along bottom there now.

This time of year in morning/ evening bass are all over topwaters. Casting topwaters or spinnerbaits along shorelines or at rocks works. 5 lb. bass are around.

Trolling that Jailbird Believer or perch Supershad Rap along 20-25 ft breakline to east of Hurricane point or throwing musky size spinnerbait at rocks in area gives good shot at decent musky.

This is best time of year for these depths outlined in that superb spot. Had a place there for 30 yrs. and did well at this time of year.

Good Luck.

I would say that you are better off targeting muskie at this time of the year. The bass seem to have a small window for the feed, first thing in the morning would be best for them, then switch over to the lunge. Don't underestimate a jig on the weed lines for muskie.

Edited by jimmer