Early grouse hunt up north

kickingfrog

My brother and I were on the road extra early and made the drive north for some birds. All along it was likely going to be too hot, too green and too thick, but a day off is a day off and this way if the trip was a bust we had 3 easy excuses.

The area we tried first is closed to all vehicles which is great... later in the year when much of the growth has died back, but this early it was silly with growth over our heads in many spots. It was a tough go and really hot. We weren't seeing or hearing any birds. The decision to head back was made and maybe take a chance on one of the atv trails instead. On the way back I did get a single and maybe things would get better.

IMAG2193_zpsp7apdbva.jpg

DSCF2663_zpsivkzg0kx.jpg

Back at the truck while we had our lunch the weather started to cool a little. Off to another trail and we're having an easier go of things but still not seeing any birds. Then, the day changed in a wingbeat. We are surrounded by birds and they are flying everywhere. We get some, miss some, find some more, get some more, miss some more and after it's all over we had five birds, I've got one shell left and we're not sure how many birds there were in total.

DSCF2665_zpsnsffaweu.jpg

Back at the truck for more shells and to put the birds on ice. We'd used up all of our luck as the last 3 birds we see are still in the woods and only one of them even heard a shot and a jack pine was the only thing hit.

Great start to the season and the hunger has been satiated for now but the colours will come, the air will turn cold and I will hear the frost under my boots.

Good stuff Rob!!

My hunting partner bought a dog this year and is working on his NAVHDA certs.

Next year is going to be fun!!!! They went out last weekend and flushed two birds, but he couldn't get a good shot off.

No need, they're not scared of us, we can walk up and grab them by the neck!

Complete opposite of southern birds...avian spooks. Flushed birds are more often heard than seen, the ones I do see mostly flush out of shotgun range at Mach III. I consider myself very fortunate when I harvest a Ruffie!

Yes, big difference between northern and southern birds in Ontario.

I hunt grouse in southern Ontario because it's where I live and it is a real challenge. I make the occasional trip north to eat some birds and remind myself why it is worth it in the south.

I like to cut the breast into strips and soak them in buttermilk with a little kosher salt added (iodized salt is not good for this, I've been told). Drain and roll in panko or regular bread crumbs (sometimes I use crushed cornflake just like we did when I was a kid). Fry in a cast iron pan with a little oil.

Yes, big difference between northern and southern birds in Ontario.

I hunt grouse in southern Ontario because it's where I live and it is a real challenge. I make the occasional trip north to eat some birds and remind myself why it is worth it in the south.

I like to cut the breast into strips and soak them in buttermilk with a little kosher salt added (iodized salt is not good for this, I've been told). Drain and roll in panko or regular bread crumbs (sometimes I use crushed cornflake just like we did when I was a kid). Fry in a cast iron pan with a little oil.

I expect a dinner invite the next time this happens, lol!