Kool find

lew

I took down a 15' spruce in the back yard this morning and while cutting the trunk out below ground level I came across this knife buried about 6" below the surface.

Both the guard and cap on the butt of the handle appear to be made from brass.

No idea on age but my property was cleared from the woods 13 years ago so I'll guess that's when it was lost.

Anyways, I'm gonna clean it up and probably hang it in the garage along with a bunch of other worthless stuff I call collectibles :lol:

002_1.jpg

Edited by lew

Yeah it's cool finding things where you don't expect them. I have a few collectibles like that myself.

In a slightly different vein. I used to hide money at my parents cottage. They would never take any $$$ for letting us use the cottage and never drank so I couldn't leave a box of beer or a bottle of something behind as a thank you. So I hid money. In a toilet paper roll, a coffee cup, in a flashlight, taped to the wall in the wood shed behind the woodpile...etc etc. I'd get a call months later when it was discovered. They knew it was us but I always denied it.

When I did a bathroom reno in my first house I taped a bill....can't remember if it was a $5,$10 or a $20 to the inside wall behind the medicine cabinet I installed with a little note about doing the reno and the date I did it. Someday someone will get a kick out of that.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Great story Steve, here's another one

About 25 years ago I was doing some work at my folks house and dug up this little fire truck. It was a favorite toy of mine that I played with when I was a little kid about 35 years earlier and had been lost. I cleaned it up and painted it and it now looks as good as new.

Cnv1125.jpg

Edited by lew

Lew, back in Europe my dad was cutting away parts of an old olive tree (they never cut the whole tree down) inside the tree he found this coin and gave it to my grandfather as it had an engraving of Mary and a Pope, but they never knew . . . Who it was.

In 1973 while visiting I was looking for old pictures and anything else I could bring back. In my grandfather's house (which we had inherited I find the coin and brought it back to Canada and my dad told me where he had found it . . .

Well after a bit of searching I find out that this was Pope Urban VIII he put Galeleo in prison for saying the earth was round lol. It was from the Vatican, known as a Papal Scudo. Don't know what it was worth or a commemorative piece.

Solid silver struck by hand in 1634, (Annus VIII meaning it was from the 8th year of his rein) amazing condition and detail.

Selling for well over a $1,000. The Star back in 81 gave me fifty for the story which they published. Have you ever found anything old lol

Always nice to find stuff in the yard, wish someone would find my 25th anniversary leatherman knife.

As Steve points out... some old stuff brings back good memories. I still have my Heinz 57 tomato juice truck. It was generally left outside as a kid and then my kids left it outside in the sand box and when that era ended I finally tucked it away. Like old cars they're only original once, so I can't bring myself to restoring this and lowering it's value. Given to my father when he was a Loblaw store manager in either 1963 or 1964. My brother had the matching Ketchup truck, but he has no idea where it got to. Wish we had both for a matched promo set.

Some great stories here guys and love the old truck Wayne, don't remember those myself.

Wish I could find my 1st ride but I spose it's gone to that big scooter place in the sky :lol:

Cnv0784.jpg

And Phil, you've got a great memory :D

Always nice to find stuff in the yard, wish someone would find my 25th anniversary leatherman knife.

As Steve points out... some old stuff brings back good memories. I still have my Heinz 57 tomato juice truck. It was generally left outside as a kid and then my kids left it outside in the sand box and when that era ended I finally tucked it away. Like old cars they're only original once, so I can't bring myself to restoring this and lowering it's value. Given to my father when he was a Loblaw store manager in either 1963 or 1964. My brother had the matching Ketchup truck, but he has no idea where it got to. Wish we had both for a matched promo set.

Awesome Wayne...love the photo.

Here is a dumb story...

When i was about 17 me and a buddy were walking to an island via the railroad tracks(same place al linder filmed a show at, it was 5 mile or 7 mile cant remember?)

We found a super old bottle of whisky, like 1895 or somewheres around there. Cool bottle, unopened. We see a partridge and i tossed the bottle at it and killed the partidge.

Ate good but rather have the bottle lol

Here is a dumb story...

When i was about 17 me and a buddy were walking to an island via the railroad tracks(same place al linder filmed a show at, it was 5 mile or 7 mile cant remember?)

We found a super old bottle of whisky, like 1895 or somewheres around there. Cool bottle, unopened. We see a partridge and i tossed the bottle at it and killed the partidge.

Ate good but rather have the bottle lol

You didn't have a rock lol could have flambé it! And the rest Wel . . .

It is Kool coming across hidden treasures. Last year when moving Mom and Dad out of the home we grew up in the stuff we found was fantastic. My brother found his complete set of Hot Wheels in the box from the 60's, my first ever baseball glove, many kool things that brought me to a tear or two. Remember those child safety locks you got at the garage from the 50's? I found a handful still in the metal boxes. I gave 2 to a pal with a 57 Chev sedan for his back doors. They replace the buttons so a kid couldn't unlock them from inside. I don't know how safe that really was.

When doing a reno 20 years ago I found a time capsule hidden in the interior wall of a place built in 46'. The next door neighbors still kept in touch with the family and I returned it to the gentleman who was 10 years old in 46'. During the same reno I found a pair of pristine Electricians pliers that was Gyp Rocked into the wall. I use it to this day.

Lew... you'll have to come fishing with me up on Joe's Lake. Maybe with your luck we can jig up one lost wedding band. ;)

Then we'll run over to 3 Mile Lake and see if we can find all the fishing tackle that was lost when me, my bro and my dad flipped a boat 45 years ago :lol: