What Is The Purpose Of This Boat Engine/Transom Setup? NF

alexmedic

Set back brackets ...very common ...some manufactures are moulding them right into there fibreglass moulds ..lot of custom all welded aluminum come with these ...very safe big water boat ,full transom , like Dave said added performance ,lots of room

Yep, getting more common every year. Last few years even the Starcraft Islanders has this set up on the outboard model.

Edit : those old enough might remember the OMC Sea Drive

Edited by dave524

I remember seeing an all aluminum, welded

Boat at one of the Nipissing trips one year..... It was one hell of a boat.... Setup just like this boat is

I can't remember who owned it though..... But man was it a sweet machine. I think it was a Stanley if I remember right...

G

Edited by Gerritt

Most likely the owner replaced an I/O with an outboard. Many advantages to this - outboards generally weigh much less than an I/O of equal power, so you get a better power/weight ratio ... modern outboards give better fuel economy than I/Os ... you can tilt the outboard completely out of the water to keep crud , zebra mussels and (in salt water) barnacles out of it ... and moving the prop aft of the transom gives it more leverage, so you have greater speed and much better handling.

Brackets aren't just for repowering though, you do see them more and more on new boats - especially big salt water rigs.

Disadvantages to brackets are that they can be awkward when using downriggers, and they require the transom to be reinforced, since you're hanging the engine's full weight out on the end of it. If you use one, you'll probably have to replace your prop as well (pitch will be off) and the engine height is critical. Most brackets are installed with jack plates as a result.

Armstrong are probably the biggest bracket maker out there. You can find more info on their website.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Actually I really want one of these boats..

This would be my boat of choice

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/lake-sport/2025-freedom-hht/

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/lake-sport-2/

One of my best friends has the 1925 classic and its one heck of a boat!

Not related to the op but kingfisher makes really really nice boats