Enough is Enough

FloatnFly

The town of Port Hope has had enough, after 4 days of the fish in river.....this message came across my facebook feed from the Ganaraska Fishway

Well it's official the town council has directed the parks department to contact the proper authorities for direction on what Port Hope's options are going forward to protect the fall Salmon fishery and the towns natural resources. They will be exploring the possibility of incorporating a Municipal Fishing License, closing town properties to prohibit all salmon fishing in problem areas, and expanding the current fish sanctuary areas on the Ganaraska River. This is due in large to this weekends fishing conduct. Fish heads dumped in portable bathrooms, garbage and waste left all over, blatant disregard of laws with blatant snagging and over harvesting among other things. The Town officials are listening to the multiple calls to action and although it may be too late to fix the situation this year our council and mayor are committed to ensuring this is the last year we see this type of conduct in Port Hope

The pigs that abuse the fisheries will be the first to complain. Kudos to Port Hope. This is long over due. Ban the use of roe as bait. Yes I know, most guys harvest responsibly and follow all the laws are going to suffer the most. It is these pigs that have to be stopped. That would be another way to do so.

Personally I haven't used. roe or any live bait for steelhead in well over 25 years. I do very well in most outings. Good fishermen adapt and still manage to catch fish. Time to make very difficult for the pigs to get away with the carnage they feel they have all rights to. Time for some real stiff fines for snagging, poaching and over limit fishing too.

The pigs that abuse the fisheries will be the first to complain. Kudos to Port Hope. This is long over due. Ban the use of roe as bait. Yes I know, most guys harvest responsibly and follow all the laws are going to suffer the most. It is these pigs that have to be stopped. That would be another way to do so.

Personally I haven't used. roe or any live bait for steelhead in well over 25 years. I do very well in most outings. Good fishermen adapt and still manage to catch fish. Time to make very difficult for the pigs to get away with the carnage they feel they have all rights to. Time for some real stiff fines for snagging, poaching and over limit fishing too.

100% agree, I love fishing the Ganny, but I avoid it like the plague in the fall just cause of the Bull, I haven't used roe or live bait for that matter for steel head or salmon for 5 years myself, have gone over to fly fishing for them instead

not to derail the purpose of this thread, but using spawn/roe for spawning fish is even more asinine than simply being able to fish for spawning fish.

can you imagine dropping muskie roe on a spawning muskie....or even better, kill a muskie to steal its roe to catch another muskie.....

blows my mind that it is legal.

not to derail the purpose of this thread, but using spawn/roe for spawning fish is even more asinine than simply being able to fish for spawning fish.

can you imagine dropping muskie roe on a spawning muskie....or even better, kill a muskie to steal its roe to catch another muskie.....

That doesn't even rate as a legitimate argument.

some people do buy roe from fish farms that sell the excess, pulling roe from a wild fish during its spawning period, is just total Bull though. but using roe as bait i see as fine, since it is a legal bait, for now, and matching the hatch so to say, a free protein meal is hard to resist, and when there's millions of eggs ready to be eaten, whos to blame people for wanting to use roe

yep. that way we can all catch lakers and atlantics....just the way it was intended.

LoL (again :))

I fish for every single species of fresh water fish in Ontario (except carp) and nothing beats the excitement of spring kings.....you can get them from shore, a kayak, or even waders walking the shorelines....no need for a big fancy boat....

Have a 20lbs fresh spring king peel 400' of line off in one run....or spool ya if your using an undersized spinning reel....far from dead kings in rivers...

Just close the rivers down until November....the loogans will be gone, then the river will be ready for the hard core trout guys....

Unfortunately it only takes a couple people to ruin everyone's reputation. How people think this is ok... I guess if you get away with it for long enough...

On a side note though, I think I need a history lesson on the issue with the salmon. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Unfortunately it only takes a couple people to ruin everyone's reputation. How people think this is ok... I guess if you get away with it for long enough...

On a side note though, I think I need a history lesson on the issue with the salmon. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Yeah me tòo.

I honestly have no clue

essentially, and I'm sure others will correct/fill in.

there were really only atlantic salmon, lake trout, and brook trout in lake ontario...

late 1800's due to over fishing and daming of rivers, they were almost made to be extinct (well, the atlantics were).

when alewives were illegally introduced in the (1970's?) the mnr needed a way to control.....west coast salmon were the answer. coho's and pacific salmon were introduced (coho first).

the fishery for these pacific salmon exploded.

not sure how steelhead fit into the above, but i'm 99.9% sure they were not native to the lake, neither were browns.

the mnr have a hard on to bring the lake back to its original glory, so they only want to stock lakers and atlantics. if it wasn't for the push by anglers, kings and coho's (likely browns as well), wouldn't be stocked.

of course, bows, which are held in such high regard by the elite, are considered ok to stay....

if the salmon are removed, in theory, so should the trout (except the lakers, which technically aren't a trout, but a char).

either way, closing the rivers from sept 1st to november 1st would be a good start in ending the salmon massacre.

for the most part, it would also allow the browns to get up, and spawn, before getting caught and killed for their eggs.....as bow fisherman can't go without brown trout eggs (gold as they call them).

the issues are people snagging, fishing illegally for them, ie bare hooks, people with rope and 3 giant trebles on it, the gutting of the fish on shore, discarding the carcass in the bushes to rot, the shear volume of garbage left behind by these people, the disregard of any and all fishing regulations, including bag limits.

The town has been on the fence about allowing people to fish on town property for quite some time, and its always been to good fisherman that have swayed them back, this time, this year, they have had it, they are tired of the smell of premature rotting corpses, they even went the extra mile this year and provided multiple porta potties for the fisherman to use to along the river, only to have them used as a garbage disposal for fish heads, the number of ppeople that show up to 'fish' the run, is downright stupid

Either shut it down, or institute a municipal license. To help cover the costs of cleaning up after the slobs.... Or better yet run a lottery...

Heavily fine offenders and issue no trespass orders for those caught violating.

This would help the town of Port Hope fill their coffers.... And stop the meat hunters.

G

essentially, and I'm sure others will correct/fill in.

there were really only atlantic salmon, lake trout, and brook trout in lake ontario...

late 1800's due to over fishing and daming of rivers, they were almost made to be extinct (well, the atlantics were).

when alewives were illegally introduced in the (1970's?) the mnr needed a way to control.....west coast salmon were the answer. coho's and pacific salmon were introduced (coho first).

the fishery for these pacific salmon exploded.

not sure how steelhead fit into the above, but i'm 99.9% sure they were not native to the lake, neither were browns.

the mnr have a hard on to bring the lake back to its original glory, so they only want to stock lakers and atlantics. if it wasn't for the push by anglers, kings and coho's (likely browns as well), wouldn't be stocked.

of course, bows, which are held in such high regard by the elite, are considered ok to stay....

if the salmon are removed, in theory, so should the trout (except the lakers, which technically aren't a trout, but a char).

either way, closing the rivers from sept 1st to november 1st would be a good start in ending the salmon massacre.

for the most part, it would also allow the browns to get up, and spawn, before getting caught and killed for their eggs.....as bow fisherman can't go without brown trout eggs (gold as they call them).

the lake was almost dead, and with so many alewives, they brought in the salmon and steelhead to control them, and they flurished, the steelhead and salmon populations we have now, are roughly 99% wild, the last of the stocked fish are in their last spawning year, i think. NY still stocks their rivers, but we don't get very many NY fish here in our rivers.

anyone that wants to read about the lake ontario history, heres a great read http://probeinternational.org/library/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/0824_001.pdf

Either shut it down, or institute a municipal license. To help cover the costs of cleaning up after the slobs.... Or better yet run a lottery...

Heavily fine offenders and issue no trespass orders for those caught violating.

This would help the town of Port Hope fill their coffers.... And stop the meat hunters.

G

since the river is town property, all they have to do is put up no trespassing signs along the shores, but they've been reluctant to do so in the past years, now, i think thats one of many things they are going to do.

I said it before, I love the Ganny, I really do, its a beutiful river that travels through some very nice areas, its too bad a score of bad people are ruining it