Boat Paint Help

sneak_e_pete

Hi there, looking for some resources info. So much conflicting info I have read, looking for advice from someone who has done it.

14ft Princecraft Fisherman Lx. Want to paint inside and outside hull.

Cost is key factor....cheaper the better. I am good with hard work.

I dont need a new boat "mirror finish", but want it to look good and most of all be durable.

Thanks in advance!

My boat and it's carpeting was originally grey in colour.

I stripped all of the interior out of it and prepped and painted the hull.

It was painted using base/clear automotive paint and cost me about $700.

I also stripped and installed new carpet @ the time.

I did this about 15 years ago. :D

Subhunter_zpsf3b62e79.jpg

I've use tremclad on tthd cottage tinnie before, it's pretty good. I've painted quite a few duckboats as well, but not in any colour you'd be interested in. If you strip to bare aluminum, makes sure you use a self etching primer designed for aluminum. I've also used the tremclad primer for galvanized metals, and it worked okay. If your just painting over top of the original stuff, then a good sanding and spray any bare patches with the primer before paint. Warmer weather to cure the paint, and multiple light coats should turn out a nice job!

Wash the boat and clean with Spray 9. Sand and prime where there are any scratched to the metal. Then use whatever you have chosen, roll on and back brush with a good quality paint brush or foam brush, I personally like a bristle brush.. If back brushed well it can come out like sprayed on For an extra 100 bucks any good sign shop will replicate your original logos and striping for the boat.

This is not a tough job, take your time and prep is your friend.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

i paid a guy cash who owned his own spray booth. its all about the prep work. He suggest an automotive primer rated for aluminum. Took it down to bare aluminum. On top of the primer we just used automotive paint and clear coat. That was on my 14' lund 5yrs ago. No peeling and no fading. Got a print shop to do new decals and she was good as new! I got my paint and primer at D&W autobody supplies (cambridge and Guelph area), but any autobody place should carry what you need.