Tire recommendation please!

Headhunter

Had 2 sets of Michelin LTX M&S tires on my truck, reasonably good performing tires in all conditions,(all wheel drive vehicle)

First set came with the new truck, within 2 years started developing cracks on side walls and in between the treads,

maybe a bad batch ? Tire dealer spoke to Michelin rep and was told it was normal wear & tear and acceptable :rolleyes:

Since I was happy with the performance, I replaced them with same, thinking the new production should be better(stupid mistake)

Exactly the same problem in 2 years. :wallbash:

I am done with Michelin :rolleyes:

I now have Hankook Dynapro ATM on my truck, they are less than a year old, so far so good but it is too early to tell how they will hold up in future.

Ford sure puts crap tires on their cehicles from the factory.

I had Pirelli Scorpions on my F150 from new and they lasted less than 2 years at optimal pressure. Less than 30,000 k.m.

I replaced them with Goodyear Duratracs and the difference is night and day.

Just a thought .

Why would you feel that you need to buy 2 sets now?

Winter is right around the corner.

Buy a semi decent set of winters and you will have 6 months to find decent tires for the other 6 (warm) months of the year.

It may mean you have to turn down a winter fishing trip but I can help you out on Simcoe to get your fix in.

Now you will have two sets enough to last at least 5 years if you drive reasonably sain.

There is nothing like the feeling of running on winters through a snow/ice storm...

Edited by saltydawg

Joe check out Cooper CS4s. I had a set on my explorer,got 100 000 k out of them. Great tire,smooth ride and very quiet. I replaced them last fall with a great deal I got on a set of firestone destination LE2s,another good tire but I liked the Cooper better. Also if you can go state side,I did even with the dollar at 75 cents,I saved well over 200 bucks on the set.

Just spoke to my "guy" re the Cooper tires, unfortunately they don't come in my size! That is turning out to be the bigger challenge at this time, finding tires that will fit my rims. 255/45R20 seems to be an odd size and as such, very limiting as to what I can get....

I had someone suggest Continental... any thoughts on those?

HH

The michelins that came on my Ford supercrew were good for fuel mileage...that's it...would get stuck on wet grass going up hill....if your looking for a good all season tire look at the general grabber at2. Snowflake rated lots of siping little road noise and not too spendy I have 40 k on mine and they still look new. You will sacrifice fuel mileage.

Edited by Freshtrax

I had someone suggest Continental... any thoughts on those?

My daughters new 2014 Honda Civic came with Continentals Joe and after a year she's very happy with them and from what I see they seem to be wearing very well.

She uses dedicated winter tires & rims though so I have no idea how they'd work on ice & snow.

I run Sailun tires on my car and you know what, they are great. They ride well, handle well, are good in the wet and the snow. My tire guys recommend them highly. They sell everything as they are wholesalers and Sailun tires do not come back with problems like many of the name brands. I was a tough sell to go off brand. I always bought name brand tires but these have really impressed me. Hankook also makes a great tire. All depends on how much you want to spend. Goodyears I find wear quick, and not the performance tires. Michelins are good but like Goodyear, pricey. Spend a couple hours hitting some tire shops and see what they recommend. You may find a special purchase which translates to a great deal at one of them.

Conti's are good, used to work at a BMW dealership and most cars come from factory with them. Save for a couple models that came with pirelli or Michelins, but as stated I'd steer clear of the pirelli as they do wear quickly imo pirelli has great summer rubber but that's it

I did what paul suggested with the avenger joe. From 18 to 17 for winter tires. Rims and tires cost me 1200. Got two seasons out of them and sold the set of four for $600 after I bought the truck. You just need to make sure you have clearance for the calipers when you down size.

Edited by Brian B

I did what paul suggested with the avenger joe. From 18 to 17 for winter tires. Rims and tires cost me 1200. Got two seasons out of them and sold the set of four for $600 after I bought the truck. You just need to make sure you have clearance for the calipers when you down size.

I did the same thing with my Honda Civic when I owned it.

Went down a size on the rims for the winter tires and saved a bundle on rubber.

I have always found that If you want to downsize rims going used is the only way it makes sense.... I look at it, this way the rims I already had were used so what is the difference...

Pic and Pulls offer awesome deals, one near me is only 20 for alloy rims and 15 for a tire pressure monitoring sensor.

Kijiji might have something you would use too... If any of these sets of rims come with the sensors it wouldn't be that expensive, when you factor in the cheaper cost of smaller new tires.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-tires-rims/ontario/ford-flex-rim-and-tires/k0c320l9004

Just an FYI

Most ppl are unaware but tires have an expiry date.

I forget how to read it but you have to decifer a code on the tires.

Some stores will have 'new' tires on the shelf that are 10yrs old and expired.

You will have to google for more info.

Maybe this was the case with your Michelins cracking??

Expiry date eh? No such thing. Tires have a mfgr date code, first two numbers are the week, second two numbers are the year. 2615 is the 26th week of 2015.