2 Top Bass tourney competitors caught red-handed

big guy

Summary of the situation from my third hand knowledge:

-2 alleged cheaters (and an assistant) were observed laying down in their boat in the reeds. They were pulling up reeds and such and laying it over an area as a canopy. This was witnessed by a competitor who just luckily happened to be driving along a road. They saw something weird as they were driving so they parked up the road and snuck back down on foot to observe. They then recognized the boat of the competitors who had come out of nowhere to win 3 events and finish 2nd in their 4th event. They waited for the perps to leave and then went to investigate - found a basket device holding bass and contacted OPP and MNR. OPP said that no crime had been committed as yet so they could do nothing. MNR was just going to let the fish out of the baskets. The basket were 2 laundry baskets zip-tied together. They were then weighted down and covered over with reeds and such and placed in an area unlikely to be encountered by other anglers. After finding the first basket, they were able to find 2 others in the area (presumably since this was a multi day tournament they were going to have to come back on day 2). The perps skipped the meeting the night before where the attempted cheating was addressed. They did show up on the morning of day 1 of the tournament - when confronted - they turned tail and ran and will probably never be heard from again in tournament circles. However, they stole close to $20,000 this year if they cheated in the 3 events they won plus the 2nd. Based on the situation, I personally find it hard to believe ANYONE could give these clowns the benefit of the doubt though at this point. The pictures of the fish they are holding up in their victories are consistent with fish damaged by being held in basket type devices. Fin damage, scale damage etc. Unfortunately everything is circumstantial. I doubt the anglers that were cheated of close to $20,000 will ever see their money which is a shame. Yes it would have been much better if feasible to somehow mark the bass, set up cameras, put the crime scene back together, say nothing and then wait for the guys to bring the fish in each day and then try to collect the 5 figure payday. I'd think a $10,000+ theft or fraud would carry serious implications. BUT, I also understand the emotions of the guy who found the basket and understand that the organizer when contacted would have been somewhat at a loss as to how to act on a somewhat unprecedented scenario. Really tough pill to swallow for me that these guys got away with it.

Regardless it's a sad day and black eye for a sport I love.

Charles

It is unfortunate they weren't caught red handed, the whole deal sounds to me like they were cheating. Just from my experience in tournaments it is rare for some one to win two back to back, I personally wouldn't have entered one that had someone in it that had been accused of cheating.

It also puts the people running the tournament in a tough spot? Can they legally refuse to allow an entry from someone accused but not caught? Hopefully peer pressure will prevent that from ever happening, plus the risk of a beat down if they do?

Well as an angler present at this weekends top bass tournament, as well as all of the other tournaments in the schedule this year, I was taken back when evidence was brought to light as was every other angler I spoke too. it was quite the chat around the launch and boat inspection area and at the Friday night pre tournament meeting (which I was not present, just got a phone call Friday night informing me of the news ). All of us were disgusted with the news, we all rely on the honesty and integrity of all the teams, however unfortunately when there is significant prize money on the line some individuals will go to any length, it isn't the first time this has happened and sadly wont be the last. The individual who discovered and witnessed the first basket, I cant say I know him well, but I believe is a credible individual. Could this stand up in court with how it all went down? probably not. There was talk about how it all went down and different guys had different thoughts on how it should be handled. When they discovered the baskets apparently a call was made to the director, whom I am made to believe (hearing third person of course) requested the baskets be left and discussion on how to deal with this would be made. However the angler decided to bring forth the evidence. Like I said that is what I heard from fellow competitors Saturday and Sunday. Some were saying to clip each of the fish let them fish and allow them to weigh in, and then contact OPP and present all of the evidence at that time. We were all saying there is no way these guys will show up to fish Saturday morning, as what was to be a secret by Saturday morning amongst the field, was no secret. I believe contact was attempted to be made with the accused Friday night, and during the confrontation Saturday morning well lets just say you had to be there to form your own opinion on there reactions. Can you pin all of there other wins on the season on cheating of course not, but don't think I'm not skeptical. Everybody here can have there opinions, I have mine just like the 73 other boats and anglers there this weekend.

It's a mess, they fished 2012-13-14-15, they didn't do bad before 15 in a large field, but all at once consistent winners? How long had they been cheating?

Like Steve says, you need proof to start taking things way? and even if you got the cops involved there has been plenty of time to hide or destroy evidence that a search warrant might reveal, if you could find a judge to issue one?

It's a mess, they fished 2012-13-14-15, they didn't do bad before 15 in a large field, but all at once consistent winners? How long had they been cheating?

Like Steve says, you need proof to start taking things way? and even if you got the cops involved there has been plenty of time to hide or destroy evidence that a search warrant might reveal, if you could find a judge to issue one?

Like I said the embarrassment will get them....if they have families... kids... grand kids explain it to them...and for what it`s worth the MNR should get involved as I am sure it is illegal to cage game fish.

The MNR should take a long look at these ridiculous bass tournaments and get more involved!

There are some warped minds out there when people fish. They'll convince themselves any way possible to justify their methods to get that extra edge.

Some ProBass fellas have the mindset that it's ok to target bass before the legal opening date, as long as they catch and release. If people think like that, it's no wonder they will convince themselves to cheat and be able to sleep at night.

Even instances where anglers fishing above the CNR on the rivers, before trout opener, and telling themselves they're targeting suckers.

Go figure...

Yeah I dont think anything will come of this other than embarrasment.

Nice to hear from some of the anglers and get their insight.

Imo, even if you clipped the fins and let them fish and weigh them in, and decent lawyer would destroy that as evidence.

Edited by manitoubass2

Aside from the practices mentioned and considering the challenges Ontarios fishery is facing i'd like to see the day all tourneys are banned. Just a sponsor checkout girl fest.

I completely disagree with your statement and find it insulting to those who enjoy tournament angling. Competition is everywhere, live with it.

As for what this topic is really about, its a shame things like this happened, but just like most any competition, there are always some people trying to cheat.

Edited by LucG

Ok, I'll bite LucG - let's see how you play this.

You find the statement "insulting".

What specifically about the statement is "insulting"?

Only two points were made by Moxie. 1) Ontario's fishery is facing challenges. 2) Just a sponsor checkout girl fest.

Now, Ontario's fishery IS facing challenges.....just look at the lakes that are getting pounded by bass tournaments every weekend...I'll use Muskrat Lake as a prime example. Tournaments every weekend from opener to October, and not a single bass gets restocked in the lake....just stuck, toured around the lake, some die, then released.

Now, number 2, even you have to admit it. Someone gets a free pack of senko's and as a result is willing to SELL his soul out for more tackle. I'd wager 90% (screw it, 95%) of tournament anglers who wear SPONSOR clothing aren't getting paid a dime for wearing the logo's. Being a "pro staff" angler in Ontario does not mean a "professional angler" rather, a "promotional angler".

Cronzy said it best....tournament fisherman in Ontario look no different than a Nascar driver, lol.

I've never agreed with anything Moxie has ever written on this board.....but I can't see how what he said was "insulting".

In fact, I'd say it was rather accurate.

edit: didn't know w.h.o.r.e would be auto corrected to "checkout girl", lol.

Edited by aplumma
there is a reason the bold word is filtered.