October fishing?

Acountdeleted

I have been thinking about this for a few years but never really thought to post this here. I don't know why.

My birthday is in a month and one of the things I have always wanted to do but was only able to once, and in Edmonton none the less, is to get in some good fishing on my birthday. I know October is too soon for ice fishing and I find bass exceptionally hard after the lakes turn over.

I imagine October is too late for spawning and running chinooks. Are walleye still plentiful on BOQ? Is there anything else anyone can reccomend? I've honestly been at a loss for ideas for 30 years now and am open to suggestions. ..... Do carp bite in fall?

Chinooks should still be available for at least part of October. The egg collection for Chinook is done in October, usually around Thanksgiving. I don't think I would be keeping any for the table at that point, but they will be there.

Early steelhead, browns and coho's should be available as well.

Quinte should be getting hot as well.

Up here in the North the big lakers and pike put on the feedbag then.

I look forward to that time of year. :)

Personally i love this time of year for pike fishing and now muskie as well, the boats are staying home the lakes are wide open and its hamner time! I find i get more smallies on simcoe while pike fishing this time of year as well so i would include that as an option.

There is definitely good fishing to be had in the late fall and and sometimes better than any summer fishing.

I agree with Old, Lake Erie can be hot for big smallies and walleye in October, some of the biggest of the year.

Here on the Ohio side we don't usually see any snow to speak of until around Thanksgiving in November, and some years after that. It is big water though, and prone to blow when the gales of November come early.

Planning a trip here that time of year here puts you in the same position I had trying to plan a trip north in September, it's a long way to go to hit bad weather?

It was 90f here yesterday, and still around 80 at midnight, they are saying we could see temps in the 40's at night by the weekend. That will be our first major cold front of the end of summer season, it won't last, but that is what we always tried to time our guy trips north around.

Guys on the board used to do a BOQ thing in the fall? Big walleye there too.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Nobody has mentioned musky fishing in october yet?

Hmmm......maybe I should keep my lips sealed?

I dont fish much at all in the fall, I hunt. But I do make time for fall musky fishin.....its the best!!

S.

Musky was mentioned a few times. I'll be giving them a shot this fall as well though Lake Erie bass fishing is hard to pass up. I usually winterized my boat the first week of December!

In my opinion, October is the best time of year for multi species fishing.

Almost everything is open.

Most fish are feeding heavy in preparation for the winter months.

Kawartha and Great Lakes Musky

Smallmouth and largemouth bass almost anywhere

Great lakes salmon and trout fishing can be really hot depending on rainfall

If I could take time away from work and the family it would always be around the first or second week in October