NF "Wild" rice situation on the Tri-Lakes

buckhorn250

Looking for some idea of the level of awareness of the wild rice issue on the tri-lakes. I am supportive of the harvesting of wild rice, however I learned this year that the rice that has taken over our bay is not natural and is being planted by an individual from Curve lake who openly admits that he is planting seed. Ive done a bit of research and sounds like Pigeon is even worse. The rice is being sold commercially under the brand Black Duck. Again the individual has a license to commercially harvest rice, but the planting of rice is clearly illegal.

As I indicated in the title its not really a fishing discussion but I have definitely seen the negative impact to the bass fishing over the last several years.

Any way looking to see what others think

I do no want to get into legality - simple answer is plant milkweed - it good for all sorts of butterflies and worms. You will find what kills wild rice is two items, one is that not cultivated well the debris from previous years will destroy future crops and yield the second is wild rice worm. Everyone who has cottages should plant milkweed wont solve the problem but can help contain.

I do no want to get into legality - simple answer is plant milkweed - it good for all sorts of butterflies and worms. You will find what kills wild rice is two items, one is that not cultivated well the debris from previous years will destroy future crops and yield the second is wild rice worm. Everyone who has cottages should plant milkweed wont solve the problem but can help contain.

Don't milkweed and wild rice grow in different areas? I.e. milkweed grows on land while wild rice grows in water?

A couple of things I dont understand about this. Whether Whetung is allowed to plant intentionally and and if selling the rice commercially are within his treaty rights.

I read an article recently in the local paper that said he was going to be reintroducing wild rice to Rice lake.

Why would he choose Rice Lake - probably due to the huge fishing tourism that people will be up in arms about losing that business. If he was truly in this to be in the wild rice business, why wouldnt he plant Buckhorn or Chemong for obvious reasons. He wants Rice Lake due to the impact it would have on the fishing tourism and will get more attention from the government.

Just like anything dealing with Native Canadians this will take many years to resolve. By that time South Pigeon will be choked from the dog leg at the river all the way to the passage leading to Gannons narrows. Who knows about Rice Lake.

Hes looking for a payout IMO, otherwise why would he be thinking about planting Rice Lake?

Edited by Dutch

Historically, rice lake was a harvested area for wild rice. They dont call it rice lake for nothing.

I have to go for a boat ride. Its been a few years since I was on the south end of pigeon, and its only 20 mins from my driveway.

I dont have a problem with harvesting the rice, but planting it shouldnt be allowed.

S.

Driving around a lake with a machine bringing in the rice is hard work?

How many lb a year is he getting?

Sorry i assumed he was ricing, as in traditional ricing.

And cleaning it is quite the chore.

But I suppose he has some cleaning machine as well???

Ok read up on the links and hes using a boat as opposed to a canoe.

Yes its frigging hard work, have an elder take ya out sometime and try it?

Edited by manitoubass2

I hardly go out fishing anymore (I live in the south end) it's a lot of work to fish the rice and quite the drive up the lake in a smaller boat to get past the fields for a short fish. I used to go our every night after work, rarely did that this year. Not sure where it's all leading to though.