NFL, CFL, anything Football thread

Old Ironmaker

Well I picked the Cats by 5, how bout 20 something. Oski Wiwi. I happy for the die hard fans there. Second to none.

Been a fan my entire life. Growing up my parents had season tickets from about 1970 to 1990. One of my earliest memories is standing on a cold snowy sidewalk in Westdale in 1972 watching the Grey cup parade with my parents.

There's been a lot of lean years and it's great to be a fan right now. Today was an especially good day. :)

Agreed Mike as I mentioned earlier when they were relocated for a while the fans still kept attending games, the Ticats are my favourite team in the east for that reason, they have a fan based support like many western teams have had for a long time, hopefully the support will rub of on the rest of the eastern conference, I still say its a great game and the heads of the CFL have tried hard to bring the league up to speed again, nice to see more about it in flyers on the radio, various promotions, contest etc

It's great to see the support the CFL is getting in the last few years. I think going to TSN is a plus, and spreading the games across the week. The support out west is far greater than here because of all the pro sports available to Canadian fans in the east. Jays, NHL, Ottawa, Mont. Leafs. Plus Buffalo is an hour and a half drive from T.O. 20,000 Buffalo Bills seasons tickets are Canadians. Then you have the Sabres too.

You don't get more frenzied fans than in Saskatchewan.

What's the answer when a ball player is told they are going to Saskatchewan? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"I retire."

Buffalo cuts QB Matt Cassel on Saturday, rehires him this AM for 4.1 million bucks less and names him QB 2 ahead of EJ Manual. Are there no labor laws in the US.? Why not fire a guy on Friday afternoon and call him back Monday morning for less? I don't get that.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Pro sports leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth . With baseball you have rich teams basically buying championships since there is no real salary cap.. The NFL is a money making machine that holds cities hostage in order to get new stadiums, some of which get replaced even before taxpayers pay for it .. as for hockey, Gary Bettman insists on putting teams where they have no business case.. the maple leafs tampering with the city selection process to prevent Hamilton from entering the league ... It goes on and on.. money ruins sports... kind of why I like the CFL.. players in it for the love of the game, certainly not for the money..

I hear you Pics. I remember when I was a kid and my Italian Nono from Western NY telling me " Micky Mantle donta paya you papas mortaga for him, youra Papa isa you hero." How perfect was that. I can't relate with 100 million dollar 5 year contracts when I have to go to the grocery store and check the sales. So I can relate to CFL salaries. A guy working in the steel plant makes more than the average CFL wage. Tim Teebo was just cut. He was told go to the CFL and get some reps. I would love to see him here. He is the quintessential CFL QB, and I welcome him. Just like Flutie when he was discarded by the NFL. This is Canada, bring us the outcasts and we will show you how wrong the experts were.

I hear you Pics. I remember when I was a kid and my Italian Nono from Western NY telling me " Micky Mantle donta paya you papas mortaga for him, youra Papa isa you hero." How perfect was that. I can't relate with 100 million dollar 5 year contracts when I have to go to the grocery store and check the sales. So I can relate to CFL salaries. A guy working in the steel plant makes more than the average CFL wage. Tim Teebo was just cut. He was told go to the CFL and get some reps. I would love to see him here. He is the quintessential CFL QB, and I welcome him. Just like Flutie when he was discarded by the NFL. This is Canada, bring us the outcasts and we will show you how wrong the experts were.

I love this post

Also CFl players are not "groomed" like the NFL.

Drug use in the NFl its so rampant is rediculous.

CFL is people that love the game, train hard and work as a team.

You dont see that flamboyant wr in the cfl do ya?

They work.

When I met the winni team a few years back, just normal guys(130lbs heavier than me albiet)

Super humble and polite

If you like CFL better then the NFL for the reasons mentioned above, then you should be only watching minor league hockey for the same reasons.

If you want to watch the best football players in the world, watch NFL.....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Nah, watch both?

Both highly entertaining(thats the point right?)

If you like CFL better then the NFL for the reasons mentioned above, then you should be only watching minor league hockey for the same reasons.

If you want to watch the best football players in the world, watch NFL.....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I thought they were pretty good reasons.

And the quality of the athletes in the CFL are not sub par, they just have a much different skill set. It's a different game.

The only thing I'm willing to admit as a fan of both leagues is the reffing in the CFL is a complete disgrace. Beyond that I like it waaaaay more than the NFL.

I do realize I'm in the minority here LOL

Ill probably watch more cfl than nfl this year. I appreciate the skill set and i really like the different rules.

Ill always always be a huge fan of the nfl too though.

Both are just gnarly sports, and both entertaining in different ways.

One thing i love about cfl is playoff time, in canada, with canadian weather.

Reminds me of nfl in the waaaay back days before closed stadiums

There are prima donna receivers in the CFL. Isaac Bruce 2 is the latest that comes to mind. He's now working at a Home Depot near you. I don't know where he is but he's not playing I don't think. Dave Stalla is the best non "throw me the ball because I'm great" wide receiver as of late. I love the guy.

I played with a guy starting in H.S. Jack Blair and latter with the Hamilton Hurricanes. He played special teams and second team D for Hamilton. He left practice to put in his shift at the LCBO in Hammertown and built houses when he wasn't busy. ESPN did a show following him in the 80's.

That's the CFL in a nut shell.

There are prima donna receivers in the CFL. Isaac Bruce 2 is the latest that comes to mind. He's now working at a Home Depot near you. I don't know where he is but he's not playing I don't think. Dave Stalla is the best non "throw me the ball because I'm great" wide receiver as of late. I love the guy.

I played with a guy starting in H.S. Jack Blair and latter with the Hamilton Hurricanes. He played special teams and second team D for Hamilton. He left practice to put in his shift at the LCBO in Hammertown and built houses when he wasn't busy. ESPN did a show following him in the 80's.

That's the CFL in a nut shell.

I agree. But not 2-4 on each team.

And they dont make 5 mill a year and think they are more valuable then the team

Edited by manitoubass2

5 mil a year. Marcel Darius a D tackle for the Bill signed today for 100 million $$$. Not 5, not 15, 100 million freakin bucks for a D tackle that might get 10 sacks a year, which he did last year to lead the league. 10 mil a sack if he never gets another. That money is obscene to me. COME ON MAN!

The opener tonight had more hype than the Super Bowl a few years back. 14/3 New England 11:15 in the 3rd.

100 mil, I can't get my head around that.

21 to 3 a few seconds later. "Turn off the lights the parties over" (Dandy Don Meredith, Monday night Football) Before most of you guys were born. Him Howard Cosell,Joe Namath and Frank Gifford. I am Old Ironmaker for sure.

It ain't over till it's over, but I think it's over.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Mike the refing in the CFL sucks. A very close friend is the timekeeper for CFL games. He concurs, every play on offence is offside, every one. A game would take 5 hrs. if they called them. And I always ask Art " Why do you have to set the clock back 5 seconds?" Sleeping?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

All you boys and girls need to look past, way past the salaries because it's irrelevant.

Just follow the game and forget who makes what because you have no control and it only will tear you up.....I never begrudge what someone else makes because I always think that could be one of my children making that kind of money and I would love him/her to make that. Would you begrudge what one of your children make, I know I wouldn't.

BTW those reported salaries are NOT what is actually sent to their bank account, minus agent fees and taxes....not to mention a lot of that money is BONUS money they never reach.....PLUS they don't invest it wisely and have many friends that they must take care of.........ANYONE here see 30 for 30 Broke on ESPN (or something like that).....FUNNY stuff......these athletes invest in STUPID stuff.....and then can't figure out why in 5 years they are BROKE......(most big time paid players are)...Bernie Kosar's (former Cleveland QB) dad stole all of his money. He filed bankruptcy years ago. I feel bad for him.