Arched cabins! Very cool product..

Gerritt

Wow, this is super interesting. The only thing I can think of right now is that they are in Texas, which will certainly add to the cost for people in the Northern USA / Canada.

Interestingly, the cost of the cabins includes labour to construct them. But not the travel cost for the crew I would imagine.

You can have them shipped, and assemble yourself as well! I would think even including shipping costs these would be pretty inexpensive "cottages/cabins"

Would certainly be interesting to find out what the shipping costs would be as they have a distributor in Ohio...

G

Edited by Gerritt

Before you get too exited Ontario has a building code,

In the FAQ section it says they are designed for 30 PSF snow loads which would not satisfy OBC in many areas of Ontario....they do look really cool though.

Edited by G.mech

Also in the FAC's they say how tall each one is. They state this one is about 14.5"s high and that one is about 15' high. I don't think I will be buying a building where they say it's "about" this high. Shipping is charged from Texas not the dealer. With the exchange rate and shipping plus duties I don't think it might be a deal at all. Did anyone get a price? I don't think it's anything you can't build here. Interesting though.

Cool. I have a couple bush plots I want to put up building and rent/lease out. The prices would be great if they were locally sourced. I live in Unorganized Twp., so would the Ontario Building code even apply?

The building code would apply because you would be gaining income from the property.

How ever if it is for your own personal use and you construct it than some liberty's do apply but you can never rent or lease the building.

The building code would apply because you would be gaining income from the property.

How ever if it is for your own personal use and you construct it than some liberty's do apply but you can never rent or lease the building.

Your posts implies that private residences and cottages, etc. are not subject to building codes. A private residence still needs to adhere to building codes regardless of whether it will be used to earn income.

Your posts implies that private residences and cottages, etc. are not subject to building codes. A private residence still needs to adhere to building codes regardless of whether it will be used to earn income.

No.

I said that some liberty's do apply if you build it yourself with your own hands for personal use.

I thought we were talking about building in the bush not Cottage country.

I don't think that a shack in the bush qualifies as a " private residence"

How ever if it was built for the purpose to gian income than the inspectors will cost you an arm and leg at least...

Ontario does everything they can so you can't build anything out of the "norm"

Well not really. They do however want to ensure buildings designed in Texas don't collapse under the weight of the snow we get here.

I found this article which kind of clarifies that all buildings built in Ontario are required to conform to the OBC (whether for private use or rental) but you do not have to apply for a permit in unorganized townships. It states:

"When a building is constructed, renovated or undergoes a change of use, regardless of the location it must meet the requirements of the Building Code,” said May Nazar, media relations co-ordinator for the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.

According to Nazar, under the Building Code, a person is only exempt from the requirement to obtain a building permit for the construction and demolition of buildings located in unorganized areas, not from the requirement to build to the code."

Truth is, nobody is watching and most camps and such buildings in these areas would never meet code in a million years so it's kind of up to you. If you are comfortable sleeping under a roof that is not capable of supporting the snow loads which it may see, knock yourself out. In all honesty, the way snow loads are calculated and given the shape of these things, they aren't likely going to collapse anyway. Point is, if you need to apply for a permit, this likely won't be approved in areas of heavier snowfall.

http://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/3573192-pushing-for-new-building-code-regulations/

Edited by G.mech