Oil tank removal

Mr.Topwater!

They just drain them and cut them in half horizontally to make it easier to get out. Your ins. comp. doesn't want you to do it, they want to pass liability to someone else.

My neighbor had Ice of the roof break the spout off an outdoor tank. The environmental clean up guys took the million $ and the house is gone.

A million? No way, 100 grand. If all hell broke loose and a full tank leaked in a freshly finished basement but I can't even fathom that.

Thank you for being a perfect example as to why insurance companies don't want homeowners removing their own oil tanks. Homeowners will often attempt projects such as this on their own and it sometimes has catastrophic results.

What does the following mean in laymen's terms? Improper removal = BOOM!

FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS of No. 2 Home Heating Oil

OSHA and NFPA Class 2 COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID (see Section 14 for transportation classification). Vapors may be ignited rapidly when exposed to heat, spark, open flame or other source of ignition. When mixed with air and exposed to an ignition source, flammable vapors can burn in the open or explode in confined spaces. Being heavier than air, vapors may travel long distances to an ignition source and flash back. Runoff to sewer may cause fire or explosion hazard.

House went into the back of a few dump trucks, they dug a small pond, forty or fifty loads hauled a couple hundred miles and I guess skimmed the water into a really big tank all summer. They have tinny test wells around it, all but one tested clean, if that clears he can build on the lot.

Thank you for being a perfect example as to why insurance companies don't want homeowners removing their own oil tanks. Homeowners will often attempt projects such as this on their own and it sometimes has catastrophic results.

What does the following mean in laymen's terms? Improper removal = BOOM!

FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS of No. 2 Home Heating oil

OSHA and NFPA Class 2 COMBUSTIBLE LIQUID (see Section 14 for transportation classification). Vapors may be ignited rapidly when exposed to heat, spark, open flame or other source of ignition. When mixed with air and exposed to an ignition source, flammable vapors can burn in the open or explode in confined spaces. Being heavier than air, vapors may travel long distances to an ignition source and flash back. Runoff to sewer may cause fire or explosion hazard.[/

its flipping diesel, you can't even hardly light it with a lighter. Better not pump gas at the gas station ...way too dangerous.

Edited by Freshtrax

I've seen plenty of guys drain the fuel into 5 gallon pails, and remove the tank....... There is a drain for a reason.

As for the tank? Just about anyone in the country would love to have it.... They make great incinerators! Redneck garbage disposal......

its flipping diesel, you can't even hardly light it with a lighter. Better not pump gas at the gas station ...way too dangerous.

Tell that to any one that's been in a fiery jetliner crash. :whistling:

​Yes the stuff is less flammable but still explosive given the right conditions. ;)

a million is not a lot when you look at the cost

lift the house and then you have to dig out and clean the soil 50 feet around because of a spill that was not detected until 2 years later because a incompetent person moving the tank from one side of the house to the other.

whole process took over a year before they were allowed to move back in

I hear ya...but common sense goes along way.

Yeah, and this is the guy who said to do it after dark so no one sees you do it lol.

I've seen enough horror stories of oil tanks leaking and contaminating the ground which in turn condemned the house which had to be demolished to be very wary of what you do and who you hire to do this work. Of all the home systems, heating is the one not to be "do-it-yourself"-ed.

Hey if you can't pump gas , don't try to empty an oil tank. Now if you have a ruptured tank that's a different story. I've been pumping fuel around the farm since I could walk it's not rocket science. If your not comfortable doing it don't do it. But I don't think it's fair to say nobody can do it them self. Same people would probably say you shouldn't build your own cabin in the woods it might fall over.

Do it in the darkness of night and don't tell anybody. Lol.

As risky as it was thats exactly what i did. Set up a buyer for the oil who showed up with the proper equipment. Took him about an hour to complete and the $350 in my pocket for the oil. I disconnected, capped and sealed all connections and dragged it outside where it waited along side the old oil furnace for another buyer and another $150 in my pocket. And to think some respondents to my Kijiji ad wanted to charge me a fee to do the same.

As previously stated, It isn't Rocket Surgery. Just be careful.