broken rod tip

huzzsaba

So the tip of my fishing rod broke and not knowing there was a fix for it, I cut it to the next eyelet. total amount of rod lenght lost if 4 inches so what was 6'6 foot rod is now 6'2. I would like to contrinue fishing with it as I don't think the additional 4 inches will make too much difference but need your advice.

The rod is a shimano rod with a shimano Zuraca 2500 reel which I really like the feel of and the quality of the reel is great. Surprisingly it has great reviews considering I got it for free with the points on my credit card :clapping: . If I were to switch out the rod and keep the reel, should I go with a Shimano or go with a Ugly stick? I don't want to spend too much and I am pretty comfortable with the 6'6 rod since I like to cast and retrieve most of the time.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

About 2 week ago I had 2 rods that "I" broke (long story) and took the tip sections back to Cabela's as they both were Cabela's rods. I found the fishing dept manager and ask where the repair kits were.....he looked at the rod tips and ask if they were Cabela's rod.......of course I said yes.......he then said you can either purchase rod repair kits or we will replace the rods for free if you have the other sections of the rods. Well, I had them in the car and Bada Boom Bada Bing........ Cabela's replace two rods.....one was over 25 years old ($79.99) and the other was about 5 years old ($49.99).

I walk out....no dance out of there one happy happy happy man ! ! !

CABELA'S is on GREAT store when it comes to customer service . . . . :)

I personally would just buy another rod or have it replaced under warranty but this does not sound like a manufacturers defect.

I do not know if this is a one or two piece rod but I use all 1 piece rods. The tip of your rod is where a lot of the action that the blank makes. It is also what creates the presentation you are looking for. If 4" is now missing from the rod, the way it has behaved in the past is now all but gone. With that much of the tip gone, your rod is also going to load up faster. this would drive me nuts so I would just go buy another one rather than trying to fix it.

St. croix sells boxes of warranty return rods. I buy busted rods from my local tackle shop with anywhere from 2-6 inches missing from them all the time. I have some $350 rods that I payed $15 for and they work just fine with a new tip guide. I wouldn't worry about it, you can fish it as is. Ugly sticks are pretty durable all around rods, and can be had for $35 on sale at Canadian tire often enough, if you want to buy new.

I broke my rod tip a couple weeks ago. Went to Lebaron to buy rod tip repair kit. The kit had size in metric and I had measured in inches. Asked the clerk if he could convert he said no and went behind counter and brought out plastic bin full of tips and guides and said try one. I had the old broken tip with me and found one which fit the rod end. The asked how much he said 2 bucks. Went cashier and she was waiting for customer to come back with a a replacement item clerk saw me waiting came over and asked if I had a tooney. Gave him one and he said ok thanks and I left. Great service and price. Went home mixed some 5 minute expoy and fixed rod.

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried fishing with it yesterday and did not notice any difference using it. I will be getting a another rod anyways and will keep the broken one (shorter one lol) as spare or for my daughter or wife to use.

Seems pointless to suggest buying a new tip when the OP said he cut it off at the next eyelet...

I would also suggest staying far away from an Ugly Stik, unless you really don't care about feeling light or medium hits. I used to be a big Ugly Stik fan, but it was out of sheer ignorance. Sure, they're durable. But so is a steel pole. Even my cheapest Shimanos feel ten times better than any Ugly Stik I've used.

Seems pointless to suggest buying a new tip when the OP said he cut it off at the next eyelet...

I would also suggest staying far away from an Ugly Stik, unless you really don't care about feeling light or medium hits. I used to be a big Ugly Stik fan, but it was out of sheer ignorance. Sure, they're durable. But so is a steel pole. Even my cheapest Shimanos feel ten times better than any Ugly Stik I've used.

I'd have to agree about those ugly sticks. Sure, they're great for the 2-5 time a year user who targets EVERYTHING in one outing, but, I'd be aiming towards a new rod myself, especially with that 4" loss. Kijjjiji could be your best friend, or better yet, visit the classifieds here! Always a deal to be found. Good luck.

I have to disagree with the lack of sensitivity with an ugly stick, ive used anything from a medium light to an extra heavy and have had no issue detecting small hits for anything ive fished for.

I had a 8'6" med heavy that i used for carping and i could see when they sucked the bait up no problem.

My wife has a 7' medium action that i have used to jig for pics and could feel the tiniest perch nibble.

I think the line and the setup and the rod action all play a big role with sensitivity but you simply cannot beat an ugly stick for the price.

Edited by Gallie

Ugly sticks are fantastic trolling rods, in have 2 that see use almost every outing. I occasionally pull crawler harnesses with rod in hand and a light bell sinker with an ugly stick as well, and I can even detect perch nibbles no problem. I don't think I'd call them lacking in sensitivity. Sure I have high end rods that can feel a mouse fart, but an ugly stick for $35 is pretty decent value in my books.