Boat dealer recommendations

evster

Wow, been a while since I posted here. The whole busy life, having kids thing took over for a while. Anyway, I've been fishing the whole time and now its time to get a new boat. Right now we're really trying to decide what we want and what our budget will be. Our biggest limitation is tow vehicle. We thought about upgrading it but its not the time. So we'll be limited to something around 3000 lbs to leave room for gear in the trunk. Right now we're thinking the best thing for us would be a 16 foot aluminum of some sort with maxed out HP (I'm tired of driving an under powered boat). Would like to go 17 but not sure if that will push the weight too much.

Anyway, I'm wondering if people could recommend some boat dealers they have had pleasant dealings with in the past. I'm willing to travel for good service. I'm located in Waterloo and travel up to Huntsville area pretty frequently, so anything along that route is perfect.

Also, any recommendations on boat would be awesome! We'll mostly fish the smaller lakes around Ontario. Would love to get out on the big lakes but I don't think I'm going to find something I can tow and feel comfortable in. Mostly bass fishing, however I do like to troll around occasionally.

I bought a new 14.5 foot Smokercraft from Can Do Sports near Burgessville, just south of Woodstock, a number of years ago. I upgraded to a 16.5 foot StarCraft in 2008 that I bought used from a friend, so I haven't dealt with them lately, but I was very happy with the boat and level of service I received at the time. And it's not far from Waterloo. They may be worth a look.

You can get much more than a 16 footer in the 3000# range.

For instance this 19' Lund Pro-V package comes in just under your weight limit.

http://www.lundboats.ca/boats/aluminum/pro-v-boats/1875-pro-v

This Crestliner in the same size should come in around the same weight.

https://www.crestliner.com/fish-hawk/1850-Fish-Hawk/

Drifter - Not once u factor in trailer, motor, batteries...

He is correct. A wider Beamed 16' and maybe a 17' is about right. Although my friend has an older 19' princecraft Hudson that is more bare bones and light.

Granted with fuel and gear it would be a little over his 3000# mark but not by much.

Notice both of the Lund models of the 1875 come in under 3K#'s boat, motor and trailer.

Capture_zpsqcou5cee.jpg

The other factor to consider in your towing weight, is tongue weight on the Hitch. Also understand that for the 3000 pounds, that is most likely with 1 person in the Vehicle (door sticker should indicate if that is true or not).

Reason I mention this is a bought a 18 foot smoker craft - that came in under the 3000 pounds. While my old tow vehicle handled it ok, I never thought about how many people I would have in the CUV - along with how much gear I might have packed in the back.

If I had to do it again, I would have bought something that was well under the tow rating/tongue weight for the vehicle (Not a problem now, as I upgraded to a Truck - what a difference when it comes to towing).

Boat Details

Listing ID: 267663

Make: Sylvan

Model: 1700 Pro Select

Year: 1998

Price: $6,900.00 CAD

Engine Details

HP: 120.0

Drive: Out board (OB)

Fuel Type: Gas

Located at CAS Marine

Thanks for all the input guys. I will be checking a few of these places out for sure. Tow vehicle upgrade is definitely going to happen at some point in the next few years, and I do have access to a truck for the bigger trips when I have a couple people with me and a bunch of gear.

I purchased a new Polar Kraft this year and here are the weights

17'-11" with a 99" beam, walk thru windshield 1240 lbs

90 hp HO E-TEC (actually a 115hp down tuned to a 90) 390 lbs (top speed 42.2 mph via GPS)

3 batteries 65 lbs each = 195 lbs

Bow mount TM aprox 100 lbs

Trailmaster Trailer guessing 500 lbs

23 gallon built in tank with fuel = 191 lbs

Total without fishing gear = 2615 lbs

Another for Bay City Marine. I bought off them 2 years ago (16'8" alumacraft with a 90 hp yamaha)....probably exactly what you are looking for! They don't carry alumacraft anymore I don't think, but they had some Lunds in the same size for pretty much the same price (low 20's). Clarence was great to deal with, no hesitation to recommend them