Easy way to connect bottom bounce weights?

sneak_e_pete

Sometimes I'll add a rubber core weight just above the BB weight. If you're not familiar it's a cylindrical shaped weight with a slot and rubber extending from each end. Insert the wire into the slot and twist the rubber at each end. That said, IMHO the old 10'/oz rule of thumb is way over-baked. If you run 10 lb Power Pro, Fireline, or some other similar braid at 1 mph you can even use 1oz bouncers in the right circumstances. The correct amount of weight often depends on many factors, but perhaps most importantly it is based on how forgiving the lake bottom is where you'll be fishing. The greater the need to precisely dance just on the bottom the more weight one should use.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Terminal-Tackle/Weights|/pc/104793480/c/104779980/sc/104685480/Cabelas-Rubber-Core-Sinkers/742782.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fweights%2F_%2FN-1100373%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104685480

Edited by doubleheader

I remove the top arm of my bottom bouncers. I run just the length that has the weight. I then put a snap swivel through the top, and I hang my bouncers off my main line from a heavy plastic quick change clevis if I'm in snag infested waters, or if I'm running just weed and sand flats, I hook the swivel into the back eyelet of the swivel on my main line. This allows me to rig my rods with harnesses, and run them in the rod holders while travelling without having bouncers flopping around. Then it's just a matter of a quick snap, and I can put a bouncer on or change weight easily. I run dedicated rods though, that are always set up with a snap swivel with a clevis right behind it. I just use these rods for bouncing.

Edited by porkpie

I've been ditching my old spinnerbait style bottom bouncers and going to a quick change clevice. You can convert yours by just cutting off the extension arm.

Main line from rod to a bearing swivel. In front of the bearing swivel put on a quick change clevice and a bead. There are heavier clevices for bottom bouncers out there.

Tie in your leader length after the bearing swivel to your worm harness. I also tie my harnesses with smaller quick change blade clevice. I can go from a 1/2 once, #3 blade to a 3 ounce, #5 blade in less than a minute.

way easier to store too!

just type in quick change bottom, bouncers into google

I picked up a bunch of Mustad Sea Booms that work well.

2-400-SF-G9320.jpg

Northland sells a special clevis with their Rock Runner pencil weights . It's basically a plastic quick change clevis with a slightly longer body.

RR-Slip-Bouncer-Card.png

As said though, a standard quick change clevis should work just fine.

Blade-Clevis-Black-250.png

Otherwise, I am sure you could just clip on another 1 oz. pencil weight to the bottom bouncer with a swivel or rubber band etc..

Edited by adempsey

I use different types of trolling sinkers. Banana, minnow and bullet types. All have a snap at the end of the sinker. Simply adding another sinker fir a quick fix will do it.

41eVlB9mn8L._AA160_.jpgFishWeight.JPG

0000000079918.jpg

I modify the banana type by adding a cross lock type snap. Once I find the right weight I'll retie using only one sinker of the correct size for the area. I carry 1/2, 1,2 and 3 oz sinkers. That way I can quickly customize the weights to fish any depth up to 30+ feet.

I troll with 50 lb braided line and add a 6 ft (or so) 12lb l mono leader on a ball bearing swivel. Works like a charm.

Muddler

1 oz to 10 ft rule is good.

Start with 1 oz rigs and have 1 oz egg sinkers. Want more weight? slip on egg sinker, make a sharp bend behind sinker and then a needle nose jaw width, bend the other direction to set the wire back in place.