This year's Salmon Hunt

captpierre

Terrible year for us, nowhere near the number of matures we normally see and a lack of teen kings as well. Normal amount of shakers and steehead, only 1 coho all season as well.

I only fished out of bluffers so guys out east may have a different story.

This is the first time I am actively fishing for Salmon, but I am doing so from the pier. 2 weeks ago, they seem to be jumping at Bronte mouth, but since then things have quieted down. I am pretty sure the head of the fish looked like salmon but now I'm wondering if it really was Salmon or maybe something else?!? Whatever they were, headed back to deep water and never looked back lol.

keep an eye on the winds.

it might be that two weeks ago the surface water temps were colder....

keep an eye on north winds....they'll blow out the warm surface water and let the cold water in...

a few days of south or east winds and the warm water is back....

when you see them on the surface, usually it is because the water is cold (50's).

the view down my chute ---

2014 was tough, especially compared to 2013 and 2012.

2015 is tough compared to 2014 this goes for kings, ho's and bows

There are fish to be had - but it ain't the fishery it was just a few years ago. Hopefully the stagers will give us something to justify our investment this year.

I typically fish the GOSD pretty hard each year. This year was a lot like last year, so I learned from that and spent all my time fishing out East. I had a great year, if comparing to what others were reporting, but only because I was travelling East of Toronto on the weekends. Many times during the week for evenings I wouldn't even bother heading out despite having a ramp pass in Oakville and the lake being only 15 minutes away, it's all about location....

You won't see this at Bronte!...fishing is easy with quantities of Kings like this :worthy: (Sorry I can't seem to embed Google photos on this forum)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2bPtnVCPtnE7vKvHfISSuKjCXvQZBqRu9o8JbaqrJFrj=w1698-h955-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1d7EoKsK8tCEgNgrhp40SA7hdhih3dOjhZBjYycQg7OQ=w1778-h930-no

A lot of people also get stuck doing the same thing year after year, ignoring what the conditions and fish are telling you. You have to adapt to the conditions, and for sure, don't keep doing what isn't working. That definitely means starting by fishing where the fish are, then by dialing into them based on repeating what succeeds, no different than any other type of fishing.

I hope we have a milder winter (but not too mild that ice fishing is unsafe on Simcoe :)) to give these fish a break, back to back frigid winters seems to me as the culprit more than anything else.

The good news is that the Halton Region Salmon and Trout Association has a new Pen Rearing project at Bronte, and there are talks of improving the method of stocking for the fish that are put in at the Shipping Canal in Hamilton. (e.g. not dumping them during the day to feed the birds)

It would be nice to not have to drive so far to fish the derby competitively. I am kinda glad those 2:30am starts are over for another year...

Tony

Edited by tonyb

What is the best place for spoon chucking from the pier out east? I have never fished out east so have no clue of the area.

Also curious if anyone knows if fishing is allowed from the oakville pier at the mouth of sixteen mile creek? There is always talks about port credit and bronte but never of the oakville one.