73 evinrude 25hp

purekgw

I know a couple guys on here must know somthing about these older motors, i just picked up a 73 25hp and after the first run the motor would cut out and often die after running wide open for 3-5 min. After taking off the cover i noticed coil packs had cracks so i replaced both, i also just replaced thermostat and impeller but it doesnt seem to have any water coming out the exhaust outlet/ water outlet? any ideas?

Does it start and idle without a lot of choke manipulation? Can you troll with it at idle speed? Are the results the same after replacing coil packs? Do you start it and have to give it throttle to keep it running? The fact that it turns over is good. Just need to invest a little more time and you can probably have it running like a top.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the very late responce just got back from out east. So after doing the thermostat and impeller took it out today wa running nice and cool but now i wonna say its not getting enough gas through it, started running really rough and wanting to die at idle to 1/4 throttle.

I would recommend a carb cleaning. If you have never done it before it can be intimidating but ask someone to come help who has done it before it's not hard at all I do my sled in 20 min every fall. You could try seafoam but with an unknown motor carb clean is the way to go.

Edited by Freshtrax

• 3 weeks later...

i got the motor finaly running nice (learning experience). Now i just have to do slight adjustments to slow speed needle but i am missing the contols that lead to it, does any one have a motor that they can take pics of so i can try and make something up?