Triumph Roplene molded polymer boats

mike rousseau

Hey everyone...

Do any if you own one of these boats or know anyone that's has owned one?

Dropped my boat and motor off at in Clayton NY for repairs and these boats caught my eye... When I got closer I realized they weren't glass boats but what I thought was plastic

The material is called Roplene molded polymer... From what I've read the material I rediculous tough and there are a bunch of torture test videos online as well...

I hope to test drive the 17' tiller they had in the water when I pick up my boat... See how it rides..

I'm thinking it'll be smooth like glass but light weight like aluminium...

Plastic canoes are not particularly light.

I wouldn't expect these to be significantly lighter than aluminum. They may even be heavier than aluminum.

They can probably handle rock better than other boats. You will still have to worry about your prop though.

no, no, much stronger than the floating dock tubes...

I'm sure a more modern version of the material the Coleman Scanoe is made out of (as mentioned above).

you can't break that stuff...but like also already mentioned, it's generally heavier than aluminum as well.

Mike one of the five star lodges up at LOTW (Wiley Point) runs an entire fleet of these - they have smaller ones with 50hp tillers and bigger ones with 115's if I remember right. They were sick and tired of aluminum boats getting trashed on the rocks up there. None of the boats had trolling motors on them - not sure if this is because of hull design or just another lodge decision. Andrew and I were baffled as to how you can effectively fish LOTW without a trolling motor - but then this is a 5 star lodge and almost every guest was going out with a guide on the tiller. They looked like they rode nice, and cut thru the waves better than an aluminum with their weight. Easy to clean also.

I currently own the Triumph Bay 190 with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Great boat..... never haver to worry about buoys or beaching on a sandy beach. It never will shine up like a glass boat and it does stain a bit if you don't wash off blood or coloured liquids. But I haven't had any major issues. I did install the t-top, trolling motor and power pole. With 2 guys it will max out at 35 mph. Before I added all the accessories I was running at 48 mph. With the modified V haul I have a draft of 12" but I have no problem staying dry in 2 ft waves, I fish Simcoe and Erie regularly so I have been my share of 4-6 footers. Great boat would recommend it to anyone.

20140522_171905_resized_zps7208a330.jpg

You have a very nice rig there Chris. Perfect for Erie as it looks easily trailer able and stable enough for the strong SW winds.

That video of them cutting that SeaHunter in 2 made me weep. The title should be "Things rich Americans can do".

Edited by Old Ironmaker