Air Cochrane "Brailey Lake"

Essox

Hi All,

Were are going to fly into Brailey Lake via Air Cochrane in mid September / 2015. It's a small spring fed lake that's supposed to have ample pickerel (walleye) and some large pike. Has anybody fished this little lake about 50 air miles from base camp. If so what you caught. Also how you caught them would be much appreciated. I generally jigs for pickerel and use big jerkbaits for pike.

We fished Edgar years ago via Air Cochrane and did good with the pickerel (walleyes) and caught some very large pike. We also fished North Burntbush when True North was operating and did very well with lots of (mainly smaller) pickerel and big pike.

Thank you and tight lines,

Essox

Have fished Brailey, and all surrounding lakes, Lots of Pike and walleye. Stayed at mikwam and trailed through to Brailey sorry to say largest fish 36" all week. If your there for walleye your in luck, worm harness or jigging. I will not be returning as I'm now hooked on Musky, Any specific question please PM.

Dave

brailey.gif

Ben's 36" on Brailey

Edited by DaveRoach

Some time back... back maybe 7 or 8 years ago, someone said something about this lake. And what was said was something about lotsa walleye... but not too many pike.

I have a standing invite to stay on Mikwam anytime but haven't been able to swing it. Will look forward to your report as this lake is just a walk over from there.

WE usually got them pickerel (walleye), a bit shallower. 3 to 6 feet in June, 6 to 10 feet in July - August. So you go deeper in the fall? BTW any spinner worm combo as well as a jig and worm combo or Rapala stickbait usually works for pics for me.

Edited by Essox

• 1 month later...

Had a good trip to Brailey. Between the 2 of us we caught ~ 100 pike and ~50 pickerel. Walleye were small to nice (12 to 21)". Most pike were between (1 to 4) pounds. We got a big 40" pike that was about 20 pounds, next biggest fish was at 36" about 10 pounds (didn't have the girth). Fished the river with poor results.

Cabin was small and they didn't leave us any useful firewood (to big to fit into woodstove) oh well.

Not sure under Cochrane Air about the up keep of their cabins. Heard good and bad.

Recently they absorbed True North Air's camps. Previous owner kept his camps immaculate. If going back with them in future, maybe consider lakes that were once with True North...?

For fly-in fishing for a week I'll be honest... that's OK but not really great fishing results you've posted. Cochrane Air has lakes that I know you could do 3 to 5 times those numbers for walleye in a week fishing just the sunset hour.

We fished North Burntbush with Maurice (True North). The cabin had a gas generator and pump water into the cabin. Also the Cabin was big and very sturdy. We caught about 30 walleyes a day on that lake but most were smaller in size. we also got x2 20 pound + pike. For some reason this lake was not included in the sale - transfer to CAS? I also fished Edgar which produced more and bigger walleyes as well pike up to 45" 25 pounds. Note: We do a length - girth calculation to obtain the weight. However we've done worse as well with Polar Bear Outfitters when we flew into Chappa Lake the fishing was awful. We had trouble getting enough for a fish fry, nothing > 4 or 5 pounds all week with 4 guys. Brailey was a nice easy to fish lake but the walleye were finicky. started to catch more late in the week when I switched to jigs and worms. As you probably know jigs tend to give a higher % of hook sets since the hook is in line. I was trying to use lures that appealed to both pike and walleyes like X-Raps. It seems you were better off either fishing for one species or the other on Brailey. This was not necessary true on North Burntbush and Edgar where both pike and walleyes (pickerel) readily took X-Raps. I'd like to here more of your experiences in the Cochrane area Moosebunk?