Alone

cram

Is anyone else watching Alone on the History channel? There are lots of "outdoor survival" type shows on the tube, but to me this one is easily the best.

The premise is simple -- drop 10 guys on Vancouver Island (individually) to fend for themselves with limited supplies, and the last one to call for rescue wins $500k.. It's not as spiced up or action-filled as a Bear Gryllis or Survivor Man show....but maybe that's a good thing. Just 10 guys trying to outlast each other while freezing, starving, or scared to death from the bears/wolves/mountain lions wandering around their camps.

Anyway, worth checking out if you haven't seen it. Recommend you watch from the beginning of the season if you can. http://www.history.ca/alone/

Yep, been following since the beginning. Pretty cool stuff. They are starting to break down now though....i was surprised Lucas bailed last night! I had him for the winner!!

S.

Had him as well. Thought he was doing the best (and didn't think it was even close). Him and that Florida guy (or wherever he's from) seemed the most balanced and comfortable (relatively speaking).

I'm surprised by how tough it's been for those guys to make a go of it there. Figured that food would be pretty plentiful, but seemingly not.

btw - what happened to Georgia guy's fish trap? I figured that was going to feed him for the rest of the show.

The poor dude eating a mouse or two a day (which is apparently all of 35 calories)....seems to me you should be able to find more food there. Obviously these guys know what they're doing, but shouldn't that water be full of little fish, crabs, clams, etc?

I agree. This is a great show. I cant believe how fast the first few guys quit. I would think that $500,000 would really motivate you. You can really tell that the isolation is getting to them now. Its going to be interesting seeing how long they can last. I think that Alan will last the longest unless the young guy can find another food resource.

I just caught a new show Les Stroud is doing that he has his teen son with him. It was on the Travel Channel that I never watch. Check it out.

We were caught in a lake effect storm on Long Point Bay ice fishing 25 years ago and got stuck there over night. You would think we would have plenty to eat with all those perch there, nothing. It was reality for sure. Especially when the wood ran out before mid night. Long story and not fun.