Kawartha Fishing Report

DaveRoach

Well here goes my first fishing report.

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of fishing with FisherPete. We started early thanks to him for picking me up at a friends cottage around 6:00 am. From there we drove to the local Timmies for our daily dose of caffeine, and I beleive Pete grabbed some eats for brecky, not being an early eater I opted out.

Upon arriving at the launch I could feel the excitement of my first real full day targeting the elusive Musky. After launch we grabbed our rods and Pete set me up with a double 9 inline. I was tempted to throw 10's but the day before I was using 10's but the retrieve was really tough with my setup (St.Croix medium heavy, Abu NaCl).

After about half an hour or so I had my first snag, it was a beauty, undaunted Pete backed the boat up and as a team effort managed to pull what seemed to be a power line from the bottom. As there were no power line markings we unhooked the tail and continued on our journey.

A little while later we headed to one of Petes go to spots, where we noticed some boat had beat us there and was pulling in a Ski. (no thanks to my snag).We had decided to move on from there to his next spot.We fished hard for the next two hours or so and then "wham" Pete had on a beauty, with my polarized glasses I could see this baby did not want to come to the boat. Shortly there after I netted his georgeous barred Ski.

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

After the release I had decided to switch up to a Chartreuese double 10, which I was surprisingly able to retreive with out too much effort, it was discussed to the cupping on my previous inline might have been the issue. Within about 25 minutes of switching lures I had a hit, not 20 feet off the boat, the sight was amazing. Pete quickly netted the fish and It was picture time.

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

After releasing the fish it was clear that the conditions were perfect, Overcast which is great for me and my all to easily sun burning skin.A few more hours of casting inlines and at a different spot, that all familiar "whamo", and this time the thing darn near jerked the rod out of my hand, after an exhilarating fight Pete netted my second beast of the day. This baby had slammed me from the side and bent the inline badly. Another pic and quick release. Pete then straightened out the lure for me to continue.

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

After a quick snack (sliced pizza and pop) we headed to a different location. With only a couple of follows we headed out again.

About an hour later we came across a shallow rock reef where wouldn't you know it, Pete slammed another Musky. Again a good fight, quick netting and a Pic for the records.

FullSizeRender-9.jpg

After the release we decided to head to the North end of the lake, unfortunately the weather turned and the clouds left. The blue sky had turned the fish off, but we stuck it out until 7 PM.

I would like to thank Pete for his knowledge, dedication,perserverance and all out great time he showed me that day. Also a special thanks to "Kelly Kustom Musky Lures" who Custom designed the spinner Pete had obtained and that I used all that day. Can't beat a day with four big Muskies out of four landed, and with ten or so follows to the boat.

As for sizes I believe they were in order 36.5, 37, 39, 39

That's all for now.

Dave

Edited by DaveRoach

It was a real pleasure having you in the boat Dave! You picked it up very quickly and did very well slugging it out all day with the twin tens. The fish were indeed very active with the overcast conditions. Two of us fished the same lake the next day under bluebird skies and didn't land a fish (5 follows).

That first lure I started you with was actually a twin 8 cowgirl, for some reason it just didn't run right.

Looking forward to seeing you land a big one!

Cheers

Pete