Please tell me if I was wrong..

KraTToR

Looking for some outside perspective on an indecent i experienced out on LSC yesterday.

I took out a bud and his 7 yr old son (who happens to be a fishing maniac!) on LSC yesterday in an attempt to boat their first Muskie. It was very busy at the Belle River hump as it was day 2 of a Muskie Tournament.

During the late afternoon, after most of the boats had left for the day, we were trolling along and found yellow floating marker. You know, the old school way of marking a location where you caught fish or mark stucture.

I picked it out of the water and it was broken in the middle so I assumed that someone just left it there.. I decided to bring it aboard and dispose of it properly.

About an hour later we're making our way back to the Marina and this boat with 3 guys pull up and they start to question if we've picked up a marker.. Of course I say yes and explain that I thought is was left behind because it was broken.

What followed was incessant stream of verbal abuse (with excessive profanity) causing my bud's boy to start crying. Apparently they had used this devise to mark a spot they caught fish and all 3 tore into us. When we asked them to calm down because they're upsetting the little guy, the response was that we shouldn't have brought him along...

I tossed the marker back towards them into the water (making sure not to hit their nice new aluminum ranger) which brought on more abuse. We started to leave and one of the guys told us that if we ever come back to this water we should be more aware of other people's property.

Now I can understand marking structure....but LSC is devoid of structure?!? Not to mention bass and muskie in this area do not hold to any one specific spot. Maybe a specific area but not a specific spot as they do cruise and roam for forage.

Why use such antiquated means when almost every boat (and this wasn't a 12' tinner by any stretch) when you have GPS?

Why use something like this is such a busy area? I imagine not being to impressed with that getting caught up in my prop (maybe that's why it was broken??)

I believe that the 3 men represented 3 generations of the same family based on looks/attitude. How can one get so angry about something so insignificant? Especially with a young angler in their midst.

Thoughts?

Brush it off, it's not worth it.

Without naming names, a couple of years back an outfitter at one of the airbases actually made my then 8 year old daughter burst into tears (there's a story behind this). It's the first time in a very long time that I actually wanted to hit another human being and I'm glad I didn't because it's simply not worth it.

You did nothing wrong imo.

Brush it off, it's not worth it.

Without naming names, a couple of years back an outfitter at one of the airbases actually made my then 8 year old daughter burst into tears (there's a story behind this). It's the first time in a very long time that I actually wanted to hit another human being and I'm glad I didn't because it's simply not worth it.

You did nothing wrong imo.

I'm sure many of us probably would have taken the stupid road and done that although the best revenge is sending all our business and anyone else's to the competitor.

I wouldn't have touched the marker if there was anyone in sight and only if it was unattended for a long period of time. Maybe a primitive marking method but still effective. Structure or not, if you had a big girl follow you can leave it alone and come back to it later.

With that said, it sounds like they went off the deep end. I'd be pissed if it was my marker but hopfully would have handled it better.

Its a tough call, i regularily pick up garbage and debris while im fishing so it could happen, if i saw that the marker still had a weight on and wasnt just floating around id probably leave it.

That said if i did pick it up and that was the reaction id be pretty upset, where these people get the nerve to yell and scream obscenities in front of a child is beyond me.

Sometimes you cant win the world is full of mindless a holes who do and say stupid stuff for little to no reason or with little to no provoking.

As i get older its easier for me to walk away but if someone pulled that in front of my daughter i cant imagine it ending well.

I hope you can let it go and continue to enjoy your time on the water. Good luck man.

You were wrong. As weird as it seems when you come across these ancient techniques, some guys still rely on them. Seen it many times and asked myself the same thing... do I pick that up? The verbal barriage was not necessary especially in front of the young guy. Don't lose sleep over it though. Lesson learned.

I'd of left it, what if they'd dropped something over board and dropped the marker to recover it later, maybe they were marking a dead head that they hit. If it was a obvious marker with a weight probably there for a reason

I totally agree that in hindsight I should have left it. The trigger is that it was broken in half, the rationale that it was garbage left behind. I understood what it was for and if it was intact, I never would have touched it.

As I'm often known to say (especially at home) no good deed goes unpunished..lol

Now I can understand marking structure....but LSC is devoid of structure?!?

People have pointed out the wrongs of taking the marker.

LSC has lots of stucture.. a dip, small hump, even suken log.. Thing about LSC if you find something where fish hold you mark it .

Some people are rude, just put in gear and leave...

I'm not a boater so excuse my ignorance on this topic, but whould an unattended marker like that pose a naivation hazzard in anyway?

No, not likely an issue at any speed. Your hull would push it aside as you went over it. You could try 1000 times to get it caught in your prop and probably miss it.

I wouldn't have touched it. Sometimes for people, it's just luck.

That being said, it was an honest mistake. You laugh if off and shrug it off and say 'maybe next time'

Their response was uncalled for and just plain rude. Never make the kiddies cry and a comment of 'you shouldn't have brought him along' is the worst possible attitude I can imagine.

Whenever I find myself in situations similar to that with my 10 and 7 year old watching, I am conscious of the fact that I am providing an example for my children by the way I react not the other peoples reaction.

After the fact I review the incident with my kids explaining what I thought about what I did, the others reaction and why I chose to react the way I did.

I have the latest technology on my boat and I still use marker bouys fairly often and you should not have touched it they are very effective tool and ya they may be old school but they work but yes the guys went way to far with your little one being present and was not cool !!!! I have had people pick mine up as well and some just drive over to it and look but most avid fishermen know what they are and do not touch it

What I find surprising is the number of people who've said the op did wrong by picking up the marker. On the other side of the coin I use floating markers all the time myself but wouldn't dream of leaving one unattended on a busy body of water. Who does that? I never have and never will.

Why would anyone want to advertise a spot they'd marked to every other boat on a busy body of water?

If I saw one unattended on a busy body of water, broken no less, I'd probably pick it up too.

What I find surprising is the number of people who've said the op did wrong by picking up the marker. On the other side of the coin I use floating markers all the time myself but wouldn't dream of leaving one unattended on a busy body of water. Who does that? I never have and never will.

Why would anyone want to advertise a spot they'd marked to every other boat on a busy body of water?

If I saw one unattended on a busy body of water, broken no less, I'd probably pick it up too.

It wasn't unattended. The OP said most of the boats had left.