Marine Grade Plywood Thickness

sneak_e_pete

I've redone my floor, storages, hatches, casting deck....read "everything".....lol...on my 14'er and used a mix of 1/2" and 5/8". Had the same concern as you Pete....weight. The previous owner had a pretty good floor joist system on 12" centres. Just laying the 1/2" sheet on them, it felt a little spongy so I added some vertical cross-braces of cedar decking boards in between the joists, especially in high traffic areas. I think I won on weight in the end and it's very solid. I then got the notion to add to my casting deck, extended from the back end, and wanted to utilize the space underneath so I went with 5/8". There's a good 16" x 32" of unsupported decking and it's also very solid but noticeably heavier. I suggest sealing with a marine epoxy after all the cuts and holes are made. Noah's Marine in Etobicoke has all the goodies, super helpful people and reasonable pricing. When I asked how long they would expect the flooring to last (marine ply and epoxy) the answer was "It'll outlast you"....I was 40 at the time, 43 now, it's as solid as the day I built it. The storage hatches were done in Phase 1 so I used the 1/2" and had to be a little careful in my design to ensure enough support, ended up splitting 1 storage (1 was larger than the other) in half (electronics and "stuff") that allowed for a vertical support in the middle. I can confidently stand anywhere in the boat including on the storages with no concern about damaging anything. My motto was over engineer the design and then overbuild the engineering. Seems to have worked. I don't plan on doing it again on that boat....ever....another larger boat however....... :whistling:

Oh, forgot to say, I used aluminum angle stock as backing for the pedestal bases.

Edited by SylvanOwner

I replaced my wood floor with aluminium but the same consideration applies... If you have sides or bulkheads that are fastened to the floor you may be required to use the same thickness that was in there.

In my case I used 3/16" aluminium plate over 1/4" 2x2 angle supports to get close to the 1/2" voids where the sides and rear bulkheads met the old floor.

If this is not an issue, I would use 3/8" minimum and wouldn't be afraid to use 3/4". Marine ply is very lightweight.

Good post! News to me, was that marine ply density was less than construction grade ply, thus making it lighter. When I plan to redo my floor, I aim to collect all the scrap aluminum ladders I can find, and use them as my sub floor.

Then I'm torn between carpeting or brush on vinyl flooring. Been hearing pros/cons of both. Currently, I'm walking on a carpeted floor.