Trip to kbay

shimano19

Went to kempenfelt bay Sunday to jig for lakers and it was gorgeous out. Anchored in 105 fow it was perfect and not many boats out. Dropped our baits and they were very hard to read on the sonars, I tried changing setting and nothing worked. Very faint lines and lots of random streaks and clutter, I have a gen 1 hds 5 and an elite 5 dsi. The dsi does not have a sensitivity setting eaither, just surface clarity. Anyone know what I can try?

Open water jigging is tough unless you have a very calm surface and a wide angle cone on your transducer.

Your DSI won't likely pick up a jig under any condition. DSI units are most effective at a slow troll and even then fish may only appear as single pixels while bottom structure and growth seem very detailed.

Went to kempenfelt bay Sunday to jig for lakers and it was gorgeous out. Anchored in 105 fow it was perfect and not many boats out. Dropped our baits and they were very hard to read on the sonars, I tried changing setting and nothing worked. Very faint lines and lots of random streaks and clutter, I have a gen 1 hds 5 and an elite 5 dsi. The dsi does not have a sensitivity setting eaither, just surface clarity. Anyone know what I can try?

The bigger question is...How did you make out????

I have been out jigging a few times this summer and done very well on calm days with no anchor - just chase the line with your trolling motor to stay on top of jig.

Like stated above DSI will not be good for that application.

You might have gotten interference from your other unit although that usually makes vertical lines on the screen. I do find that I get horizontal lines at times too - think it is sonar hitting my line. I found my old elite5 marked baits poorly past 70' no matter what I did. I have an HB 859 now and it picks up deep jigs really well.

Check your transducer setting and select 83/200. I have found that to be best.