NF- BBQ........

FloatnFly

I have a Weber Genesis NG grill that I bought in 2001. Every year in the spring I do my annual cleaning and maintenance on my grill. In April of this year, I observed that the burner has no noticeable degradation from the day I bought it. The starter still works on the 1st or 2nd push 95 % of the time.

As for Webers being overpriced and overrated and being made of flimsy materials - I disagree. With the exception of their entry level grill - The Spirit, which is made in Asia, their grills are manufactured in the USA with some of the sturdiest materials available in their class. Napoleon and Vermont Castings grills are also very nice.

I also have a Weber Performer Charcoal grill and I love using it as well.

As far as limiting ones self to $400, I'd save up until I could buy a better grill. You won't regret it.

Charcoal all the way. If you're on gas or propane, you're just pretending to bbq.

By definition, yes :). Gas is Grillin'. Charcoal is BBQ.

I have a Weber Summit NG and a Lg Big Green Egg. I use both all year round and for very different reasons.

For example, if I spend big $$ on a dry aged steak I use the gas grill as charcoal imparts its own unique flavour, which IMHO, masks the nutty/beefy flavour you get from dry aged beef. Supermarket steaks get either, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

For pork, especially heritage breed such as square nail or berkshire, charcoal turns them into something remarkable.

One other point, if you keep the egg clean and somewhat free from ash, you can get it up to 700 deg in about 15 mins. About the same as pre-heating a gas grill.. just a bit more upfront work and cleaning.

PM me if you want any specific details .

I have owned 2 BBQs the last twenty three years both were Ducanes. The best BBQ on the market,only one on the market that is truly 100 percent stainless steel,nuts bolts and burners included. The second I have is in year 10 and still looks like new and will easily last another 10. Yes there are a little pricey but well worth it. The one I have now cost 800 on sale at Home Depot ten years ago.

I had a Ducane for the last 20 years or so and we just threw it out because it was so rusted out it was barely standing up. Weber bought out Ducane years ago and with that went my "Life Time Warranty"...Weber is more then happy to sell you over priced parts though. BTW I paid over $1000.00 for that grill because of it's "Life Time Warranty"..... :(

This time we went with a KitchenAid gas grill that I quickly transformed to accept Natural Gas instead of propane. Kitchen Aid gives you the orifice need to change out for the side burner and then you just remove the propane orifices because the Natural Gas orifices are already installed behind the propane orifices....nice way to handle this...

BTW I paid just over $400 for this 3 burner plus one side burner grill and it gets HOT ! ! !

Edited by Mister G

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to replace the shields, I have 2008 Centro 6800, great for what I paid for it "zilch" lol CT donated for some work I did for them :)

If it wasn't for the shields it's like new. But I take care of my things.

If it goes I may have to do more work for them lol

Neapolian use to be the number one go to. Thats when they were made %100 in Canada. Well Barrie/Oro really. Our plant even stamped thier burnners and sear plates. No longer. Most of the parts now are from over seas. So it is assembled in Canada, Shame really.

Broil King gets my vote. Funny thing this morning, I seen one at the side of the road. Opened and there were heavy cast iron grills. They are getting a wash down and put on my grill. ;)

Have a Napoleon Prestige 450RB that is over 15 years old and still works great. Sure I've replaced some parts over the years but it is still better than most of the crap out there. I thought the Prestige line was all Canadian where as the Mirage line was off-shore.

I got this BBQ a few years ago and have yet to have one single problem with it and I get the best of both worlds. http://www.tscstores.com/3-BURNER-PROPANECHARCOAL-BBQ-P12041.aspx

nice! apparently Char-Broils are one of the better choices for BBQs under $500

in the meantime, I love my Vermont Castings I picked up, even though it was used, great score. Im going to order up spare burners, drip guards, ignitors, and grates for the future, just to have in case one goes. For now, everything internally is solid, only cosmetic stuff could use a little attention, ie a cleaning, and the backlight for the burner controls, other than that, its in great shape

Edited by FloatnFly

FloatnFly, I have a Vermont Castings that I bought new in 2002. You won't have to replace the burners on yours as mine look like they are still brand new. The only "challenge" I have with mine is the frame is rusting out. Everything that actually plays a part in cooking, works perfectly. I expect that one day I will go out to use it and it will have fallen upon itself from the frame rusting. The sear plates, burners etc, will in all likelihood, still work.

As far as parts are concerned, I believe the Vermont Castings is out of business, so finding parts could be a real chore.

HH

FloatnFly, I have a Vermont Castings that I bought new in 2002. You won't have to replace the burners on yours as mine look like they are still brand new. The only "challenge" I have with mine is the frame is rusting out. Everything that actually plays a part in cooking, works perfectly. I expect that one day I will go out to use it and it will have fallen upon itself from the frame rusting. The sear plates, burners etc, will in all likelihood, still work.

As far as parts are concerned, I believe the Vermont Castings is out of business, so finding parts could be a real chore.

HH

Vermont Castings was purchased in late 2014.. I've also got a VC (Purchased in 2005 before it went to ****) Only issues I've had is the metal that holds the ignitors has rusted so my push button start doesn't work. Nothing a lighter down the grate doesn't fix. Love that BBQ.. Sits outside uncovered year round. It will be a sad day when I eventually get rid of it.,