USB Turn table help NF

misfish

I seen one of these and am seriously thinking about getting one.

Anyone have experince with these? Are they user friendly?

I also have a chance at a great collection of LP,s and 45,s.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-usb-turntable-ps-lx300-pslx300usb/10110135.aspx

10110135.jpg

Edited by Brian B

If you have a chance at a good collection of albums I wouldn't touch a usb turntable unless you really want to make some cd's for your car. You're far better off getting a quality belt drive turntable with a good stylus and cartridge and enjoying the analog sound IMO. If you are set on wanting digital copies make sure to get a quality usb turntable, because like many things you get what you pay for, and you can get a cheap ADC or a good quality one. But if you're only going to convert to mp3 instead of a lossless format then you may not notice the difference as much.

Cheers

OMG I just checked that link. For $129 you will be getting junk. Don't be fooled by the Sony name.

Cheers

This is why I ask here. Thanks

Can you further explain on this please Smitty

with a good stylus and cartridge

Stylus is the needle tip(diamond), the cartridge is the body. There are several different shaped tips, which all sound unique in their own way. Heres a good little read if you arent too familiar with turntable speak.

http://www.needledoctor.com/FAQs/Phono-Cartridge-Stylus-Related-FAQs

Smitty is bang on with his earlier post. Look on kijiji for a used Technics, belt or direct drive. Pop a nice cart on there and youll have hours of good listening in your future.

There is a whole world of cartridges to choose from, from about 30 dollars up to insanely priced ones. Like anything, do your homework, and you should end up a happy camper.

The stylus(needle) and cartridge are what convert the sound from the vinyl. You can buy a $10 cheap needle that will sound like junk and a cheap cartridge will also produce lousy sound. The quickest way to ruin an album is to use low end turntables with heavy tonearms and little adjustment capabilities. Pretty soon the grooves are worn and sound reproduction is crap. It's all about the minute vibrations sent from the surface of the album through the stylus and to the coils and magnet in the cartridge. That's why belt drive is better than direct drive. Far less vibrations transmitted to the tone arm. Here's a little primer...http://www.needledoctor.com/FAQs/Phono-Cartridge-Stylus-Related-FAQs

I had a fire a few years back and somehow all my albums disappeared, several hundred. But I got to claim over five hundred of them, at a reduced price of course. But I still did OK. So I replaced 125 of them at a cost of around $3500. Just about all of them were half speed remastered 180 gram virgin vinyl audiophile quality albums. :good: The most expensive was a 4 album remaster "The Complete Clapton" at $70 plus tax. The way I look at it, it's all about the source. A silk purse comes to mind.

I'm by no means a true audiophile spending huge dollars on my sound system. I bought all decent equipment on my claim, but nowhere near high end. Speakers were a grand. Huge 15" Cerwin Vega speaker cabinets. Here's the turntable I bought. http://www.planetofsoundonline.com/products/pro-ject-debut-carbon-turntable. At $550 it compares very favorably to other brands in the $1000 range. I even met this guy at a chip wagon who first recommended it to me as we were chatting about home sound systems being not very prevalent anymore. Go figure I bought one a couple of months later. I see them now on amazon for cheaper but there's a lot to be said for dealing with a local audio shop. Plus they don't come setup online.

Brian, it really boils down to what you want out of this whole opportunity. Assuming these albums are mostly in good to very good condition, then you have a chance here to enjoy some quality sound if that's your goal. It would be mine lol. If so, my suggestion would be to buy a preferably new good quality turntable first, then build on that, even if you go with some used components for a start. Guys like to upgrade right lol, so you can find good quality used equipment sometimes, for maybe half price that's only a few years old maybe. Maybe even a table.

After all that hehe, if you only want to make digital mp3s, then at least buy a quality usb turntable. But even then... http://www.cnet.com/news/usb-turntables-worst-ever-audio-product/

Albums are making a big comeback now. The new trend. Zep just had their latest release, remastered by Jimmy Page. In the audio world analog is still king, and there's big money to be made too.

Hope this helps. Cheers

You can download a lot of legal tunes for the price of a cheap USB turntable and have a better digital copy. If you want to really enjoy your albums, invest in a quality turntable. I have a Rega RP1 and will be upgrading my receiver before I'll match its quality!