A couple of car/boat questions...

northernpike56

Hi guys,

First question:

The time has come for me where I have to sell my 1991 mazda miata convertible and buy a more practical car that I can use to get to school/work every day, but I want to also purchase a boat to tow with it. I'm thinking of purchasing a 12-14 foot aluminum with an engine no bigger than 9.9hp on the back. Two cars that have been appealing to me lately are a 2008-2009 mazda 3 GT sedan (fwd, 2.3L engine), and a 2005-2006 subaru impreza RS (awd, 2.5L engine). Would either of these two cars be suitable for towing my future boat, or should I be looking into getting something else? Any other vehicle options would be appreciated too!

EDIT: I really prefer to drive manual, but if there is some huge advantage to towing with an automatic, I'd like to hear anything about it too! (Also, I don't mind a bit of wear on the clutch from boat launches, thats just normal wear and tear to me)

Second question:

I have had a square stern sportspal canoe that I have mounted many small outboards to in the past, but obviously there is no ownership/insurance/registration I had to worry about with the canoe. Just have the boating license and the appropriate safety equipment, and you are always good to go. When I purchase said 9.9 hp aluminum boat and trailer, whats the registration/ownership process like for both the boat and the trailer? (i.e. when I purchased my miata, I had to get a bill of sale from the owner signed over to me, insurance for the vehicle, safety and e-test it, and then I was fit to register it with the government and get plates for the vehicle...)

Is there any specific process like this for a small boat, or is it more a game of you just give the seller some cash and drive off with the boat and you are good to go? I would assume that there would be an ownership for the boat and trailer, so you can legally prove it's yours, but then again I really have no clue right now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt.

Edited by northernpike5391

I used to tow my 14 footer with 25 hp Johnson with my Pontiac vibe. Had to put transmission cooler. Was OK to tow. I think subary will be better vechile to tow also awd is necessary sometimes. Once you will buy a boat you will have to change Ontario registration - simple process. Just Google it for necessary instructions and form.

You don't need to register a boat under 10hp (pretty sure) , so you'd just get the trailer ownership just like you have for your car and a bill of sale for the boat and motor, and a separate bill of sale just the trailer. Say $100 Or so

Edited by Bondar

Thanks for all the responses guys. So, from my understanding now is that as long as I have the bill of sale/signed over ownership for the boat/motor, I should be fine out on the water. No registration/insurance or anything needed as long as its under 10 hp. (I guess the numbers painted on the side of the boat wouldnt mean anything to me either then).

In terms of the trailer, I just bring the bill of sale/signed ownership to the MTO and buy some plates?

I've been seeing a lot of ads on kijiji lately where the guy says he's "lost the ownership to the boat and trailer, but you can register it as a homemade trailer". Does this make any sense? I would assume that the gov't wouldnt allow some random guy to slap together a trailer in his garage, load a 1500 pound boat onto it, then pull it down the highway at 120 km/h...

Matt.

Edited by northernpike5391

you would think there would be more to getting trailer plates, but literally you can go in, say you built a trailer, give the color, approximate weight, number of axels, and pay like 35$ for plates. no inspections from what i know, but it has to have working lights, fenders, etc, otherwise you could get pulled over.

I've towed similar boats with 4 cylinder sedans, and it's just fine. I towed a 14' boat with a 15HP outboard and a week's worth of gear from southern PA to Canada once with a 1997 Nissan Altima. It did just fine.

If you will only be doing occasional towing and using decent ramps ..... just about anything will do .... pick what suits your daily needs best, throw a hitch on the back, and go fishing.

I've got a 4 x 12 flat bed for hauling ATVs and snowmobiles that I also use to haul my 14 foot aluminum boat. I drive an Impala and I don't even feel the trailer and contents behind the car. I did have a Suzuki 4X4 and it also did a great job even though the motor was shot and would barely go up any hills,,,,even without a trailer.

A 12 to 14 foot aluminum boat on a boat trailer.....you could haul it by hand.....almost.

Sounds good. Maybe a transmission cooler kit installed on my future car might be a good idea before I start to tow stuff, just because I want to keep whatever vehicle I get for a long time. Does anybody have any experience with the ford ranger 4x4 trucks? I believe they had a 4.0L V6 option too... Could be another potential car to look into.

Sounds good. Maybe a transmission cooler kit installed on my future car might be a good idea before I start to tow stuff, just because I want to keep whatever vehicle I get for a long time. Does anybody have any experience with the ford ranger 4x4 trucks? I believe they had a 4.0L V6 option too... Could be another potential car to look into.

I've had a 4x4 ranger since 2009 it's a 4.0l V6 and it's been a great vehicle. Other then regular stuff like brakes, and the 2 front wheel bearings I have done anything to it except for oil changes I've put 100k on it . Just not a lot of room in the cab not so good one piece fishing rods Or passengers . I put a fibreglass cap on it and have used it to sleep in on several fishing trips fits a air mattress

Edited by Bondar

My brother's Ranger with the 4.0L lasted him 250k miles with only the normal maintenance and repairs. It's a good solid truck with plenty of towing power. Down sides were terrible gas mileage and a relatively small interior.

You might laugh at me, but if I were in your shoes, I'd get a V6 Honda Accord with 100k miles on it. Fairly cheap, reliable, efficient, comfortable, inexpensive to maintain, and plenty of power for towing.

4 cylinder cars and most cars period are not tow vehicles most of them don't even have a tow rating, having said that people do it all the time seen a guy towing a 16/17 foot Crestliner with a 60 on the back did it work yes I guess...would I want to anywhere near this guy in a emergency situation not a chance!!!

Slap a hitch on a Vespa that may work too.... :w00t::rofl2:

or this...

thG2KCARQG.jpg

Edited by lookinforwalleye

4 cylinder cars and most cars period are not tow vehicles most of them don't even have a tow rating, having said that people do it all the time seen a guy towing a 16/17 foot Crestliner with a 60 on the back did it work yes I guess...would I want to anywhere near this guy in a emergency situation not a chance!!!

Slap a hitch on a Vespa that may work too.... :w00t::rofl2:

It all depends on what you're towing. A small boat/outboard/trailer will be less than 1,000 pounds even with gas and gear. Any car can pull that safely with no issues.

It all depends on what you're towing. A small boat/outboard/trailer will be less than 1,000 pounds even with gas and gear. Any car can pull that safely with no issues.

I agree, but that's not the issue. If the vehicle isn't rated to tow anything and you have an accident while pulling the boat, the insurance company can void the policy and leave you on the hook for all the bills.

The Subaru is a great vehicle with an awesome reputation, and because of that they can still be fairly pricey ... you'll have to look long and hard to find a deal on one. On the other hand, 4x4 Rangers are widely available at excellent prices. They may eat a little more gas, but they will cost less to buy so there's a bit of a wash there. I've had a couple of 4x4 Rangers in my life, all were excellent trucks that went through pretty much anything, lasted forever, and never cost me a dime beyond regular oil changes, wiper blades, tires and other basic maintenance. Very reliable truck, I can't recommend them highly enough.

The ranger is good, but you're looking at about 500km per tank at $80 give or take to fill, and that's without towing, I'd do what was just suggested and do something like the accord, lots of mid size cars have a towing capacity of 1500-2000 just have to look around

A 2013 Volkswagen TDI would be a good option, 3300lbs would give you a nice buffer

Edited by Lucas F

Buddies got a Ranger p/u truck. He's had some problems with it that were addressed by warranty. His is only two wheel drive and can be a bit of a bear to keep on the road in winter and it's inherent icy conditions.

Food for thought.

HH